Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
:eek:

Absolutely awesome!

Two questions, do you have any frogs in that beauty? And do you have any details on the construction process? I'm sure there would be others interested in how you put this tank together.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tank was a custom design (by myself). I has two sliding glass doors on each side. There is one luec and four red eye tree frogs adults and about 50 tadpoles w/legs. The tank was put together with foam and coco flocking. That was the trend four years ago iI dont know what the norm is today but it has held up well. Most people would lay there tank on it's back and use gravity to glue in the wood and spray the foam but I has to make sticks that would prop the wood up until the silicone dried. That was a pain in the a$$. I never put one fern in there, they just started sprouting everywhere. I am looking to stock it with some more Luecs as soon as I can find a supplier. It also has two overflows and one return drilled into the bottom and a sump. It's in my aquarium shop as a display. It's 8'X2'X4'(L,W,H) It has 12 misting nozzles from Mr.Mister (are they still around?) Lights are (4) 4' t5 HO's and a 48" lunar light. All bulbs are 65K.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just amazin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish some day I'll have something like that at least half side :)

Cograt's great job and a beautiful home for those three frogss, I bet your future dart frogs will be happy there too

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Fantastic results! I spy Dischidia!!!! :)

Could you take some more up close shots or maybe upload the full tank shots with a larger file size so we can zoom in some more??

·
Registered
84 Posts
this may be a stupid question, but how does a dragonfly get in there?

was it hatched in there? do you keep something like that in there, or remove it asap?

how do ferns just sprout up in a viv? something in the substrate or what?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There must have been fern seeds in the wood or moss. As far as the dragonfly????? The tank is pretty well sealed. I found it so amazing that it's what inspired me to repost in this fourm.

As far as construction pics I started to take them but kind of lost interest. I would work on it a little at a time mostly when there were no customers in the store. I would guess it took around 40 hours to build. It was kind of funny to see the look on my customers faces when they saw me working on it.

I will work on some better pictures.
thanks

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I found a wasp in mine once. And I said, "How on earth did a full grown saxton protestant white man get in my tank"?

Your vivarium is nuts. Wonderful job. California roadtrip!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The doors are 1/4" and the rest of the tank is 3/8". All of it is glass. It is one of the heaviest things I ever lifted. About 400+ lbs. I left 2' sections on both sides then siliconed some U shaped tracking from the glass store. I think they called it J tracking. I don't rember. Anyway I glued 8' pieces to the top and bottom front of the tank and the doors just slide from side to side. In the center there is a 4'X4' piece of glass that is stationary. The tracking is covered up by the stand and canopy.

As far as adding darts to it I am looking for a large number of Luecs. I used to purchase my frogs from Patrisha Gouttenburg but she has gotten out of the business. Even on this site I didn't see too many luecs for sale.

·
Registered
410 Posts
How do you feed frogs in a jungle like that anyway? Can they find the fruit flies? Do most of the flies just fall into the water?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you feed frogs in a jungle like that anyway? Can they find the fruit flies? Do most of the flies just fall into the water?
The frogs are all over every square inch of the tank. When the misters come on it stimulates the flies and the frogs find them easily. I do put the flies in the same spot every day so the are kind of trained.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts