Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! This is my first viv build that I've ever posted, and I'm excited to get some feedback from the wonderful people on this forum. This is not my first ever build. I've done a few vivs of all sizes before, this is just the first to post. Seeing as how this is going to end up in my biology classroom and not in the comfort of my own home, I'm going to need some help through this build process to see things I might not have thought about. So PLEASE comment (good or bad) to help me (and my froggie "babies") survive the coming school year intact.

For the background, I'm using a couple of Great Stuff cans that I found lying around in my viv stash and some Silicone II that I got from Lowe's. I know there's probably easier ways of doing the background, but this how I've done it before, and it worked for me.

GS, and Silicone.JPG

I bought this MAGNIFICENT piece of ghost wood at the ETHS reptile show a couple of years ago, and have FINALLY found a use for it in this tank.

ghost wood.jpg

Here is the tank from the front. I've cut the egg crate to the shape it needs to be. I still need to cut a hole for the water pump, but I don't know where I want the pump to go yet. I really like the pond there, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the water feature. Do I use a stream? waterfall? drip? I don't know. Suggestions are welcome ;-)

front.jpg

I need to keep in mind a few things during this build, too. 1)The tank will be in a cold classroom. Use of a heater/thermometer is a must. I have a medium-sized mat heater lying around that I probably will use. 2) I have to figure out a way to lock down the lid. I'm sure some of you still remember the awful things you did when substitutes were in your classroom. I know I remember... 3) This tank has to be as portable as possible. For sure, I will be taking it home during Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, Spring Break, and summer. I haven't decided if I'm going to take the whole tank home, or just round up the frogs and bring them to an empty tank at home. I'm really afraid it will stress them out. I will figure this out when the time comes.

That's all for now, more pics and updates as soon as I get them.

Oh, and I'm hoping to either get a pair of azureus or terribilis to live in here.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Love that piece of wood. Definitely adds dimensionality to the tank. Those types of pieces are tough to come by.

I wouldn't move the frogs to a new tank. I'd just take the whole damn thing home. Might seem like a pain, but its better for the frogs as they will likely get stressed in the move to a new tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts