Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have been working on this since last xmas!...this forum has been a wealth of great Ideas and mistakes to avoid....I have always wanted to do something like this the 1st time I saw a cool viv in the St louis zoo when I was a kid... (54 now), I am semi retired have time on my hands. My education is in Biology...that education has came in handy in researching...

trying to deside what frogs I want to get..advise says leucs however..."Ranitomeya imitator" look soooo tempting..... wade in with suggestions...also looking to add another plant or 2, I have lots of leaf litter to place just havent yet "putting in spring tails n Isopods soon....

the table is a old sewing machine stand....." that viv not getting flipped easy!

·
Registered
246 Posts
But it looks like you already got the leaf litter covered, sorry I missed that.
In regards to frogs, I would get what you really like. You should have no problems with an imitator as a first frog, just make sure you research lots on the little guys and are prepared.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have both, the leucs definetely wow the crowd more because they are much larger and eat like animals (literally). They also dont run away nearly as much and they are typically visible.

The imi's are also a great choice, but are very small and could be a more challenging frog to enjoy (given size)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice looking enclosure. Kudos to you for having the tank up and going for some time. Start adding the springtails/Isopods as soon as you can. Definitely add some more plants. Leucs are a heavier frog and tend to tromp all over the place so maybe add something like Pothos or Philodendron.

I have both Leucs and Imitators and I think you'd be better off with Leucs for your first frog. I have three types of Imitators and I have never been able to keep more than a mated pair together. Even in a Exo Terra 18x18x24 I had four together and the 2 males were always fighting even though I had plenty of calling sites and territories set up. Also, my Imitators tend to disappear a lot because they are probably off mating somewhere. You would see the Leucs quite a bit.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
154 Posts
My leucs are always out in the open and calling so visitors are always impressed with them...until they see the azureus....then it's "WOW BLUE FROGS!!!" I like both because they're not shy and I can reach right in and touch the azureus. But like everyone has suggested-get what you like. Have fun and good luck :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet Viv!

Few questions as im a noob as well. What is the moss looking plant on the ground? And also is that tree fern for your background???

Looks good!:)
the clump on the left is selaginella kraussiana brownii "spike moss"

the other 2 patchs just sheet moss hasn't done as well on the floor on the viv..be great on the cork tubes up high..If I could do it over again I'd wrapped the whole cork "log" with moss grew it a bit before I planted it. Ill get an up dated viv pic soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.