Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My terrarium showed up yesterday and I’m only waiting on a couple pieces of Manzanita wood, then I’m going to get to foaming it in. In the picture is a large cork round that will be in the center and provide a ramp and cave for my frogs when the design is complete, but wont be foamed to the background. It’ll be more foreground. I’ll try and post some progress pics here.

26F54BA9-828D-4875-BED4-4332134A9A39.jpeg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got my wall foamed in. Also got my plants. Once the foam cures, I’ll silicone it up. I decided to keep my manzanita wood for foreground.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I ordered 2 more bags of ABG. I think I want to bring the rear ground up a lot. Like maybe 6-8 inches. I'm hoping to give the forgs a way to make it up to the upper areas of the terrarium, and a natural substrate ramp will probably help. It'll also help make the plants in the rear more visible.

I also plan on getting a biophytum sensitivum plant because it looks awesome and may take up some vertical space in the areas that seem a bit empty. I'm also considering an Orchid front and center, but will see.

For now, I'm trying to figure out what my pre-frog watering schedule will be like. I haven't bought a misting system yet, but I'm sure it's coming. I may upgrade my chameleons mister and give his to the frogs. I think I'm leaning towards that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looks great! Once all that grows in I don't think any of it will be looking empty. I find most people overplant and then you end up spending a lot of time trimming or it gets super overgrown. Also, I don't think your frogs will have any trouble climbing that to the top as is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ID on the plants? Loving the build!!
Bromeliads, Pilea Depressa “tiny tears” Nephrolepis Cardifolia “lemon button fern”, Pilea Nam. “Creeping Charlie”, Pilea Inv “Moon Valley”, Episcia Curprecta “Silver sheen”, Begonia Menors, Nephrolepis Evaltata “Fluffy Ruffles fern”, Pilea “Pan Am” freindship plant, Pelonoa Repens “trailing watermelon begonia”. And a few others.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am losing a few of the plants and I can’t figure out the reason. It could have been my sanitization stressed them too much, or overwatering. I’m not sure.

The begonias are struggling, I lost the baby tears and the episcia wasn’t looking good this morning.

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
I am losing a few of the plants and I can’t figure out the reason. It could have been my sanitization stressed them too much, or overwatering. I’m not sure.

The begonias are struggling, I lost the baby tears and the episcia wasn’t looking good this morning.
Episcia are very tolerant and will often go through cycles where the leaves die off and then regrow.
2-3 months ago all the leaves on this plant had died and rotted away.

PXL_20210427_130144302.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

With just a few exceptions(begonias), all my plants are showing healthy new growth. I have a misting and watering schedule that seems to keep the humidity between 78 and 85%. Temperature is between 72F and 75F. I switched out my larger leaf litter for smaller leaf litter for aesthetics. My springtails seem to be reproducing because I see a few walking around in the enclosure.

I ordered my fruit fly culture, culturing kit and my suppliments. Fruit flies are producing in the culture.

So I ordered Dendrobetes Tinctorius ‘Particia’. They should arrive on Tuesday.

The only future plan would be to automate the misting, but I want to start manually. As I get a sense of the frogs requirements, I’ll look to automate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m not sure if it’s the same for all begonias, but the ones I have don’t like to have water directly on their leaves.

The tank looks great! I might’ve missed it but have you decided on frogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m not sure if it’s the same for all begonias, but the ones I have don’t like to have water directly on their leaves.

The tank looks great! I might’ve missed it but have you decided on frogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Going with Dendrobates Tinctorius ‘Patricia’.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Already gave some advice in your other topic : Frog Bromeliad accessibility?

But again, you realy want to 'max out' the moveable space for Tinctorius in this (too)small tank.
There is only one option here for making this work and that is to create more levels in the tank.
The most easy fix would be by using larger pieces of driftwood for example. This way they have more shelter and more surface for them to move on.

The way your tank stands today it does not really benefit the frogs you ordered.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Already gave some advice in your other topic : Frog Bromeliad accessibility?

But again, you realy want to 'max out' the moveable space for Tinctorius in this (too)small tank.
There is only one option here for making this work and that is to create more levels in the tank.
The most easy fix would be by using larger pieces of driftwood for example. This way they have more shelter and more surface for them to move on.

The way your tank stands today it does not really benefit the frogs you ordered.
If you read up to post #8, I did just that. You may not be able to tell from the picture but the cork acts as a divider with the ground behind about 5-6” above the front. It gives access to the rear shelves and the center cork top.

I also have a few extra tanks that I can use if they become agressive before they get sexed.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
If you read up to post #8, I did just that. You may not be able to tell from the picture but the cork acts as a divider with the ground behind about 5-6” above the front. It gives access to the rear shelves and the center cork top.
Yes I read you made a 'ramp' with substrate and I see the small cork tubes in the back, but I'm convinced it's not enough to create platforms which the frogs can use.

In this small sized tank there is still a lot of open space in the middle and the sides of the enclosure that serves no purpose. Frogs don't like to expose themselves in open areas, so my guess is they will be behave quite shy the way the tank stands now.

Mayebe some updated photo's can help us gain more insight and help you to tweek your tank before the frogs arrive.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts