Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ,
it has been a long time since i have been on dendroboard.
but here are some videos and pictures of my big paludarium.
its around 380cm wide 90cm deep and from top to bottom 200cm and 140cm 12.5ft widex3ft deepx 6.5ft or 4.5ft high

video

waterfall video
i will try to get some better total pictures of the tank but witch a cheap phone its not that easy:D
it has got Fully retractable lighting fixture

3x54w t5ho SUNBLASTER
4x39w t5ho sunblaster
2x54wt5ho philips master /865 will look to change to 965
4x led strip 22w 6000k and 4000k cheap ones might replace them with sunblaster in the future.
6x led strip 18w 6000k
1x54w t5ho is still not in use and im not sure what to put in this one. probably some uvb

Light shedule
LED: 9.00am / 11.30pm
sunblaster 10.30am / 10.00pm
philips master 2.00pm / 8.00pm

for the moment it is inhabited with 1.2 ameerega cainerachi that are a bit shy
but they are always seen in the lower part or the waterfall when i just enter the frogroom and then they go into their hidingspots
i hope you like it,
suggestions to improve are always welcome
with friendly greetings
jelle pareyn

·
Registered
737 Posts
Wow what a great viv! I am instantly envious of what you have achieved.

And that is a lot of bulbs! If you wanted to cut back on the number of bulbs you could replace half of those lights with 6 par38 led spot lights in the 5000-7000k range. The issue not being watts but rather the focus of the lights. Your current lights are sending light out in a 120 degree to a full 360 degree direction and thus anything not going into the viv is completely wasted. Some par38 screw in spotlights will focus the light down in a 25 to 90 degree angle (depending on the bulb you choose) and the savings in efficiency in a setup like this can not be overstated. Even some clip on reflectors would help reduce the number of bulbs if you wanted to keep your current fluorescent setup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply al t5 ho have reflectors.
I will look into the par 38 bulbs

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd love to attempt something this large so I'm very interested in how the actual enclosure itself is constructed. Can you tell us a little more about that? materials? cost? thanks for your time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to attempt something this large so I'm very interested in how the actual enclosure itself is constructed. Can you tell us a little more about that? materials? cost? thanks for your time.
the construction is made with aluminum profiles and connectors with an iron core
and filled the non glas parts with betonplex plywood
and gave it several coats of epoxy raisin
the front windows are with the plastic rails like you see in almost all the european terrariums
link for alu profiles and connectors
if i would make a new tank of this size i would make things different i would make the entire construction in wood and put this on the aluminium rack and not make a combination this made everything a lot more complicated.
epoxy raisin i got from mr boat
mr boat

costs i'm not entirely sure (sometimes its better that you do not know).
but its safe to assume you will be around 8500+ euros to make it(empty) depending on your light
if you make it... put wheels under it:D i had to move mine to the back of my garden for renovating my house:Di do not recommand it
i think it can definatly be done cheaper and better this is just my diy project that will keep on going to improve and change over the years :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts