Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these sweet mushrooms today while walking my dog and wondered if i could put these in my vivarium. What precautions should I take, maybe baking or freezing them first? Maybe even collect spores somehow and seed some wood?:rolleyes: What are your thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I'm not sure about that type, but I remember there was another type of shelf fungus, more of a darker brown color, and it was pretty hard/woody material (fairly slow growing as well, I think). Still not sure if the other type would be safe, but at least it would be more similar to a piece of wood (very wood-like in texture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
They do have a very interesting texture, i was forced to further observe and touch the cap. They seemed sturdy and thick, not squishy and fragile like a normal mushroom that pops out the ground. It sure would make a nice shelf in the background! I will refrain from putting these in my tank because it's not worth the risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I'm not certain that these are dangerous. granted, I understand the 'better safe then sorry' approach, but at least some types of bracket fungus are edible.

If you are determined, you could try drying them out and coating them with a thinned epoxy resin or other sealant. - that should let you have the object without exposing any potential toxins to your vivarium. it will just sorta look perpetually wet...

found this, but not sure of the site, so...
Decorating Vivariums with Turkey Tails
and this:
Vivarium construction questions. (Long! I'm new to this!)

but, yeah, if your uncertain as to the safety, and really want to use it, I'd suggest drying and sealing it, and then putting it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Most Mushrooms and other large fungus are actually not that poisonous. Alteast not to humans. Usally it's more that they simply taste bad, are to hard, to small..etc.. That being said there are ofcourse plenty that are poisonous. It is just that most arent:) Where i live of the many 1000s of different fungai.. Only 5 are deadly.

But inside a shroom there are usually lots of small worms, snails and other small critters that you probably don't want in your viv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,726 Posts
Most Mushrooms and other large fungus are actually not that poisonous. Alteast not to humans. Usally it's more that they simply taste bad, are to hard, to small..etc.. That being said there are ofcourse plenty that are poisonous. It is just that most arent:) Where i live of the many 1000s of different fungai.. Only 5 are deadly.
As a general rule of thumb, unless you are able to make a 100% positive ID it is better to not touch any mushroom. Some of the toxins are extremely potent, and licking your finger or rubbing your eyes can be hazardous if you have even a minute quantity of the toxin(s) on your finger.


Jake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,322 Posts
Deceased fungi even those that are fairly highly lignified don't have a long life span in the tank.. they break down rapidly. As noted above, there are often a lot of things you may not want in your tank living inside of them. If you want them to last in the tank as a decoration, then you will need to dry and seal them...

Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, unless you are able to make a 100% positive ID it is better to not touch any mushroom. Some of the toxins are extremely potent, and licking your finger or rubbing your eyes can be hazardous if you have even a minute quantity of the toxin(s) on your finger.


Jake
Collecting wild mushrooms for eating is a hobby off mine.. And ofcourse you should be sure what it is that you are eating.

But that rule goes for anything really.

and simple touching one is not dangerous:). If i where touch a deadly shroom.. And then licked my finger.. I seriously doubt anything would happen:).. Some can even be eaten with the right threatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,322 Posts
and simple touching one is not dangerous:). If i where touch a deadly shroom.. And then licked my finger.. I seriously doubt anything would happen:).. Some can even be eaten with the right threatment.
Care to try that handling and lick test with Amanita bisporigera? If you bruise the mushroom and then lick it, it won't kill you but you'll still probably be a very unhappy camper... Amanita bisporigera (and it's relatives) are not uncommon in North America..

Ed
 
  • Like
Reactions: jacobi

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
That one doesn't grow over here, but it has several dangerous cousins. In fact 2 of our 5 deadly ones are of that family. That being said.. If i where to touch my finger with one and the put it to my tounge..i still very much doubt anything would happen. Not that i go around sucking my fingers when mushroom collecting.. Because i dont:)

Also why are we now brusing the shroom and licking it?.. Really now. i just replied because someone said most shrooms where poisonous.. Because it is just not true..
Im not advocating that people should go around licking strange things they find in the forest:rolleyes:

Eidt.. I have acutally tried eating some shrooms of Amanita genus. They aren't all deadly monsters.

Also this is way off topic..
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top