Dendroboard banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
Been looking at clay baths too. What about this recipe for Springtail cultures? Culturing springtails on clay
That's the pumilo recipe mentioned here:

I have had success with the substrate clay recipe (unbaked) from pumilo pressed into a coconut half and moistened with water. It seems to last for months to years. Just keep adding water as needed. The clay doesn't seem to foul, and clean up crews are frequently consuming from it.

It also looks quite natural in my opinion.

·
Registered
613 Posts
@Fahad , have you used the microbe lift montmorillonite clay as springtail culture media?
On my ever-growing list of Things To Do. I have a small break from work this week, I'll give it a shot and report back. I still have Jungle Jewel Exotics' calcium bearing clay from a while back that I have yet to crack open and try. Maybe it's time for a Pepsi Challenge.

Pretty sure I just carbon dated myself there. 😐

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
On my ever-growing list of Things To Do. I have a small break from work this week, I'll give it a shot and report back. I still have Jungle Jewel Exotics' calcium bearing clay from a while back that I have yet to crack open and try. Maybe it's time for a Pepsi Challenge.

Pretty sure I just carbon dated myself there. 😐
Please let me know the results. I have some of the microbe lift on the way and will try it with springtail cultures.

PS, I know the Pepsi challenge reference... Maybe I'm aging myself too

·
Registered
254 Posts
@Fahad , have you used the microbe lift montmorillonite clay as springtail culture media?
I started a test 16oz culture. It has been producing well. It appears to have less than the calcium bearing substrate clay I’ve used in another of the same size. But it’s hard to say because it’s a light color and more difficult to see the tiny babies. It’s fairly new and I’ve harvested from it multiple times. I think the last was a few days ago.

I plan on making a larger size to compare on a different scale. I have 5 pounds of the stuff, what else to do with it!?
Liquid Dishware Ingredient Fluid Tableware

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
Clay arrived and had been made into a clay bath for one tank (Ameerega pepperi) , and I've started a springtail culture on clay as well.
Plant Ingredient Cuisine Dish Terrestrial plant

21 - 29 of 29 Posts