Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very cool. They have the funniest sounding call. Almost like a little kitten crying or something. If you don't mind, where are you purchasing them from. PM me if you do not want to say on the thread.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The noises from these little guys are no different then my dog's chew toys lol. It's a cute little guy and i'm interested to see how folks do with them long term in regards to their burrowing nature.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People have already kept them long term. You set up like a spade foot toad, just a little more moist and with leaf litter.

There are many burrowing frogs/toads we already keep in captivity without problems. I personally keep Sonoran Desert Toads (Ollotis alvaria). I have also kept spade foot and green toads, all three without problems.

The noises from these little guys are no different then my dog's chew toys lol. It's a cute little guy and i'm interested to see how folks do with them long term in regards to their burrowing nature.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
can you please elaborate on how to set up a viv for frogs that breed while buried, and the eggs are washed to moist vernal pools where they develop as tads?? The Leptopelis Uluguruensis breeding is why I'm asking, and if you think the conditions are that similiar, that is how I will set up a tank...it is a mystery...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
can you please elaborate on how to set up a viv for frogs that breed while buried, and the eggs are washed to moist vernal pools where they develop as tads?? The Leptopelis Uluguruensis breeding is why I'm asking, and if you think the conditions are that similiar, that is how I will set up a tank...it is a mystery...
Unlike most Breviceps, mossambicus are native to relativity moist habitats, due to this they are out almost every night. A deep layer of soil consisting of 1 part mulched leaves and 2 parts screened, baked, slightly moistened top soil. Plants would include various types of crabgrass and tall deep-rooted grasses, as females prefer to make their egg chambers under the root structures of grass for extra protection. To induce breeding from October to February mist heavily as this is the wet season and also the breeding season. By the way Blue, CAN'T WAIT for my pair!:D
Edit: MORE PICS!!!!
Edit#2: The picture is of an adult.

D

·
Registered
530 Posts
subscribed. I was telling eyeviper a few days ago I wanted some. Put me on the list for some babies! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
please let us know if you are successful in breeding these, as I would love a pair! or if you could guide me in the right direction of purchasing some?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
please let us know if you are successful in breeding these, as I would love a pair! or if you could guide me in the right direction of purchasing some?
The OP! As far as I know, Blue_Pumilio is one of two people who has imports. Him and First Choice Reptiles.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I saw them there and wanted some but they were out of stock. I think I would rather have B. adspersus though.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
That's what I saw too. After a little bit of research it seems these are more uncommon than I thought, Justin is the only person online that has the at the moment.

D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts