Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty hi everyone !

So, I'm building a new larger, nicer enclosure for my trio of Variabilis. I wont be moving them for about a month or so longer, but my question is how do you move thumbs without scaring the be-jeebus out of them? It is going to be hard enough to just find them, let alone taking them out and putting them in their new home !

Thanks for the assistance.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Move them with a "frog tube". Get a clear acrylic tube about 1" to 1.5" in diameter, about 1 foot to 1.5 feet long. hold a hand over one end and simply lower it over them. They don't even see it coming at them. Carefully coax them to jump up inside it (be careful not to pinch a foot). Cap it with your other hand and move them over. You can just lay the tube in the new viv and let them find their own way out.
A cheap source for a tube is the clear plastic covers from Lowe's that flourescent bulbs are sometimes sold in, or, the M and M filled plastic candy canes that are sold around Christmas time.
This is the most stress free method I've ever used!
It is a good idea to have a second pair of eyes and hands nearby just in case!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good luck, they are so small, I barely see mine. I dont think I would move mine out of the 10G because anything else is more of a problem. :D
Hah your not joking ! Small and quick are not easy to catch ! I have my trio in a 10G vert right now, and preparing a larger enclosure now for them. I think they will be happier and will be out more with ALOT more space and hides......just wrangling them up will be a pain LOL.

Move them with a "frog tube". Get a clear acrylic tube about 1" to 1.5" in diameter, about 1 foot to 1.5 feet long. hold a hand over one end and simply lower it over them. They don't even see it coming at them. Carefully coax them to jump up inside it (be careful not to pinch a foot). Cap it with your other hand and move them over. You can just lay the tube in the new viv and let them find their own way out.
A cheap source for a tube is the clear plastic covers from Lowe's that flourescent bulbs are sometimes sold in, or, the M and M filled plastic candy canes that are sold around Christmas time.
This is the most stress free method I've ever used!
It is a good idea to have a second pair of eyes and hands nearby just in case!
Awesome ! So your saying I can eat candy....AND catch my frogs?!? :D

But no, that is a great idea. Thank you very much. That should work great. I'm just worried about actually finding the little guys without them escaping, but I will have another set of eyes on the doors watching for suicide froggers !

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
No feeding the chocolate to your variabilis!
Seriously though, take your time. Go after the one or two that are out and visible right then and there. Come back for the other(s) in an hour. It's not like you HAVE to catch them right away. Do it casual and stress free, for you and your frogs.

Reactions: Brian317
1 - 5 of 5 Posts