Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so i am moving to rhode island in a little over a week and i need to move my pair of tincs. its about a 7-9 hour drive and i have a car dedicated to pet supplies along with my fish. question is, should i order the supplies as if i were shipping the frogs? could i do a 6qt tub with holes for air and some wet moss/plants? just load up the 10 gallon securely? (ride is smooth and nothing could fall/slide to hurt them in any of these ideas). they are my only darts right now due to this move and i want to make it safe and what not so i can ADD to my collection in a few weeks not REPLACE. :) any info on moving would be great.

Thanks,
Patrick Josey

·
Banned
915 Posts
Put them in a container no holes like you would over night them then place that in something snug and u should be good

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as in the deli cup? or box and all? temp will be kept constant in car with no breaks during drive, thanks for the fast reply!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would place them in deli cups and then in a cooler. If for any reason the tank should break during the trip, they could get lost in the car. A cooler would provide consistant temps and keep them from stressing out too much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i will do that, im going to put a thermometer in through a hole to make sure it stays cool. thanks for the help guys, cant wait to share what i have planned.

·
Banned
915 Posts
That what I meant just broke phone screen during the message so I wrapped it up to clean the glass out my screen. Cooler and deli cup is the best go. I had some brought to me in the same way by car out of state. They where in a 6 oz cup in a cooler bag wrap in bubble wrap, a cool pack, and a Styrofoam cooler. Just when u stop for gas check on them. You will be okay. Best of luck on your travels.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Last winter I moved my frogs 24 hours from Chicago to Ft. Myers, FL. Deli cups, some wet paper towels, and a cooler are a must!! Moving frogs a long distance can easily be done. The thing I would worry about most is keeping them cool. I used a large Coleman cooler, with some phase 22 panels. Just prepare as if you were shipping the frogs overnight and everything should be fine.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I moved my frogs last summer, and, with hotel stops at night it was a 3-day drive. I put my frogs in deli cups (I kept pairs together) and tadpoles in Ziploc bags (sealed tight!). Then I got some cooling packs (it was really hot, and even with the A/C I still wanted to be safe. Depending on the weather you can use heating or cooling packs, or none if weather is perfect) and put them all in a Styrofoam box. They were fine, with no fatalities.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I moved my frogs last summer, and, with hotel stops at night it was a 3-day drive. I put my frogs in deli cups (I kept pairs together) and tadpoles in Ziploc bags (sealed tight!). Then I got some cooling packs (it was really hot, and even with the A/C I still wanted to be safe. Depending on the weather you can use heating or cooling packs, or none if weather is perfect) and put them all in a Styrofoam box. They were fine, with no fatalities.
When I moved I went to my local aquarium store and got a bunch of large fish bags. I transported all the tadpoles just like I was shipping fish. 1/3 water, 2/3 air. I didn't lose a single tadpole.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I transported some frogs in January in a polystyrene box placed in a cooler with no problems. No phase 22 panels (here in Italy we don't have this stuff), no heatpack. I traveled by train at night because of distance. The frogs came home in the morning all vital and hungry.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
When I moved I went to my local aquarium store and got a bunch of large fish bags. I transported all the tadpoles just like I was shipping fish. 1/3 water, 2/3 air. I didn't lose a single tadpole.
There's another way to do it:D I'll keep that one in mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts