Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -I'm still a novice and would like some advice please.

I need to transfer 2 small [1/2 inch - 10mm] Golden Mantellas to a new vivarium. Their existing home is heavily planted and has lots of hiding places which makes seeing them very difficult, the new setup is more compact and should offer better views. As I've never had to transfer frogs I ask for your advice on catching them as 'painlessly' as possible given their environment.

CHEERS!

John

·
Registered
213 Posts
I place a FF cup w/ moist moss on its side in the enclosure. Then I gently play "chase" with tongs til they hop in.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Go to home depot, lighting section and purchase a clear tube used to protect florescent light bulbs. Cut this to a 1 foot length. Lightly flame polish the edges to remove any sharp burrs from cutting. Place one end of the tube over the frog which should hop up into the tube. You can now carry the tube to the other enclosure and chase the frog out or just set the whole tube inside and wait for the frog to leave on its own.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Frog tubes are the best way to catch frogs! Either a lighting tube, a fish siphon tube, or even the tubes from those Christmas candy canes at stores, those work great...plus you get a free snack. :) You just lower the tube over the frog gently and transfer to wherever. I'm about to use that method with 7 frogs ATM. Best way to move them with low stress on them in my book.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I usually don't use a tube. I just put on medical gloves and pick them up. Usually if I just put my hand on the ground palm up and slide it close to them, kind of cornering them, they eventually hop up on my hand their self. Still inside the tank I place them in a plastic container with a wet paper towel. Once in their new tank I just put the container on its side in the tank and open it. That way they can come out into their new home when they are ready. Hope this helps

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
I usually don't use a tube. I just put on medical gloves and pick them up. ]
Care should be used when using "medical gloves" (should distinguish between latex, nitrile and vinyl gloves) in that they are linked to toxicity in some tadpoles see for example (free access) http://eprints.jcu.edu.au/6377/1/6377_Cashins_et_al_2008.pdf

In addition, if gloves are worn, they should be undusted with talc or corn starch, and moistened before touching the frog.

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
No one uses any trap like fish people do?
IF you are referring to the old style glass tubes with a bend and wider area to help trap the frogs, then yes, that is what the suggestions on the clear tubes are mimicing.

Ed

·
Registered
93 Posts
the method i have always used is a test tube..i keep a few laying around.
just spray with water,place test tube in front of the frog and nine times out of ten they jump right in,if not they can be easily maneuvered by a gentle prod.
place thumb over the end ,and with a gentle shake they can easily be transferred.(also while in tube they can be easily inspected for any flaws)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts