Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided to switch 2 broms from a Varadero tank to a Basti Tank, because the Bastis have been depositing tads everywhere and I needed the larger from in with the Bastis.
I checked the small from from the Basti tank with a flashlight and didn't see any tads, and I never imagined that the from would be anywhere big enough to raise a tad in. I emtied the from out into a bucket just to make sure and rinsed it out with luke warm water, and much to my surprise, out popped 2 tads, one a month or so along and the other a week or so.

I decided to continue with the switch and moved the tads to the new much larger bromeliad.
I have a hard time believing that they would have been able to be raised much longer in the very tiny bromeliad, or is it possible?

Wil the parents find the tads in their new brom? They currently have 5 Tads in various brooms, which seems like a lot for a single pair, but I have never raised Pumilios before.

Any tips or suggestions would be a big help.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
5 is no big deal and they really don't need a lot of water to survive. Just make sure you are misting enough to keep water in the axils and they will be fine. I would try to mist a little every day or close to it. I have some pumilio that had 13 or so tads going at once, only 7 morphed out. My cauchero recently had 8 morph out within two weeks of each other and just saw two more little guys tonight. The two additional broms you just put in should be more then enough space for them...congrats

also, you will need a bunch of springs to feed the little guys when they morph out...maybe 1-2 shoeboxed-sized cultures will be adequate, isopods work well too.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
As mentioned above, you would be surprised at how little water/space they can raise a tad in. As far as if the parents will find the tads you moved...there have been some reports of success after doing so. I however, have had to move a couple tads before and the they were completely ignored. Just keep doing what your doing as they obviously like it and hope for tue best. No matter how it turns out for those two tads, I think you made a good decision by giving them more deposition sites.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the help. I have been seeding lots of springs and it is a very well established with dwarph iso's , I already have a froglet who morphed out a couple of weeks ago who seems to be doing pretty well.

13 tads at once, thats amazing!! I can only hope!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
As mentioned above, you would be surprised at how little water/space they can raise a tad in. As far as if the parents will find the tads you moved...there have been some reports of success after doing so. I however, have had to move a couple tads before and the they were completely ignored. Just keep doing what your doing as they obviously like it and hope for tue best. No matter how it turns out for those two tads, I think you made a good decision by giving them more deposition sites.
Like randommind mentioned, sometimes the transfer works sometimes it doesn't. I once dumped a brom's water out in the toilet, much to my dismay a froglet plopped out. I quickly reached for it and it swam into the back of the toilet where I couldn't reach it...live and learn. When moving broms in obligate tanks I have found that you should always assume there is a tad in anything that can hold water, that way when one comes out, you're prepared...good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts