Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had success with mounting epiphytic plants to a cork background? i'm looking for tips.

the cork is already siliconed to the back wall.

cheers!

G

·
I mount broms and tillandsia to cork. The tillandsias only need a small glob of silicon at the base, but the broms need to have some sphagnum moss attached to the base. I use florist wire to do this. I just put some LFS around the base and wrap the wire around it about 3 times.

I have also mounted cissus amazonica, selaginella, and several ferns to tree fern backgrounds using the same method.....pretty sure it would work for cork also. The sphagnum just hold moisture.

G

·
yea im having the same problem because i already foamed my cork bark to my tank and i was thinking of staple guning the plant to the cork but i dont know if it will work..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeremy, what brand of foam did you use? i was shy about using expanding foam because i didn't know which brands were toxic.

re: mounting to cork, i was thinking about mounting the plants to a small piece of cork, then mounting that to the cork background. good plan?

also, what does "LFS" mean? i'm kinda new to this.

cheers!

G

·
jharless said:
Jeremy, what brand of foam did you use? i was shy about using expanding foam because i didn't know which brands were toxic.

re: mounting to cork, i was thinking about mounting the plants to a small piece of cork, then mounting that to the cork background. good plan?

also, what does "LFS" mean? i'm kinda new to this.

cheers!
I am sorry....I misunderstood your first question. First, LFS stands for long fiber sphagnum moss. Second, the brand of foam that most people use is called Great Stuff and is made by DOW...get it at home depot or lowes. OK, about mounting plants to cork, lots of people have there own methods. Jeremy made a comment about the lighting, saying that everyones' different input was confusiong him...that is because there is no one way to do things...everyone has his/her own method that works...same for ff culturing, backgrounds, water features, lighting, etc.

My method for mounting plants to cork is to first wrap LFS around the roots or base to retain moisture. Then, I take a piece of stiff wire( I use electric fence wire, get it in electric department at home depot), and I make a "staple" out of it. I then put it around the base and push the ends into the cork with pliers. After some time and the plant has rooted into the cork, I remove the staple. Like I said, there are many different methods, this is just mine. Just be creative.

Hope this helps,

G

·
your method sounds really good, im going to try that. were do you get plants besides the internet, iv tried going to home depot but there bromelaids are huge there like 9 - 15 inches long...

G

·
mounting epiphytes to cork

Hey all. I am new to the post. Referred by Ben and Rob from Brooklyn. Here is an idea that I use. I use a green paper-clip (plastic coated) and open it up. I push that into the cork and the green keeps it looking nicer less noticeable, I am also a little worried that the oxidation of the wire with all the humidity could cause damage to the plants. :wink:

G

·
Jeremy said:
your method sounds really good, im going to try that. were do you get plants besides the internet, iv tried going to home depot but there bromelaids are huge there like 9 - 15 inches long...
local nurseries and home depot. The best plants are found online in my opinion. My favorite places for plants are cloud jungle epiphytes, peace of the tropics, T&C terrariums, and custom ecos. All have great prices and excellent customer service.

G

·
Re: mounting epiphytes to cork

steve klotko said:
Hey all. I am new to the post. Referred by Ben and Rob from Brooklyn. Here is an idea that I use. I use a green paper-clip (plastic coated) and open it up. I push that into the cork and the green keeps it looking nicer less noticeable, I am also a little worried that the oxidation of the wire with all the humidity could cause damage to the plants. :wink:
I like the idea of the green paperclip...may give it a shot. about oxidation though....the wire is galvanized so oxidation is minimized. Plus, I usually remove it after about a month so any threat is removed.

Welcome to the forum by the way :D

G

·
Toothpicks!

Use a nail to make a small hole (or a drill, whatever) and wedge the plant in with toothpicks. They disentegrate after a few months, which is about the same time that they take to root to the wall. works great with all my orchids, cant imagine broms would be any different

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
I have also used toothpicks, even pushed them right through the brom.

drunknmunky said:
Toothpicks!

Use a nail to make a small hole (or a drill, whatever) and wedge the plant in with toothpicks. They disentegrate after a few months, which is about the same time that they take to root to the wall. works great with all my orchids, cant imagine broms would be any different

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks for all of your suggestions! I thought I was in a jam, but now I feel like I have so many options. Cheers to Dendroboard!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just mounted some broms in what is going to be an imitator tank. While doing this I wondered if after the brom in firmly secure to the cork bark I should take out the wire holding the SM to the brom when removing the paper clip? I am concerned that the wire will hurt the frogs. Also how tight are you supposed to rap the SM to the brom?

Thanks in advance.
ADAM

G

·
tooth picks, skewers and foam

i use toothpicks and skeweres as other do, it's easy. vivaria.nl has instructions.

great stuff is sort of toxic when in contact with water. have you ever used the black expanding foam?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Great Stuff is toxic when in contact with water? I don't think it'd ever come in contact with water when on a background, because it covered with silicone and then cocoa bedding.

G

·
i know but it's worth mensioning as sometimges folks just use it and plaster it with coco fiber and skip the coating of silicone, that 's all.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I did not know it was toxic, or that you had to coat it in silicone. I'd heard it mentioned, but did not know it was necessity. Would you not have to be careful what kind of wire you used also? No threat of metal poisoning?

·
Registered
901 Posts
How long is great stuff toxic when exposed to water?
It's my understanding for people creating water falls and false bottoms and stuff like that sometimes you'll have great stuff on the sides or the back that maybe have a tiny bit of water touch it, will that be a life or death situation if lets say the frogs soak in the same water? Is it toxic eternaly or does it wear off with time and vivarium growth?

·
Registered
752 Posts
subject has turned from the original. Sorry i played a part in that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great Stuff is only toxic while it is curing. Once cured it will not have any affect on plants or animals.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts