Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, hope you can help me out. I am going to purchase some mini broms and mini orchids tommorow; the problem I have is that my back wall is the exo terra stryfoam rock back gorund. Is there anyway to be able to attach a brrom and or a orchid to this background? And if so do these plants need to have roots in the soil? I am sorry this is all new to me and a bit confusing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I used bent paperclips to "pin" the bottom, woody part of some broms (I think it's called a stolon?) into a similar background. I stuffed a little sphagnum moss around the paperclips to hide them and 6 months later both broms are doing great and have roots spread all over the place.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hello everyone, hope you can help me out. I am going to purchase some mini broms and mini orchids tommorow; the problem I have is that my back wall is the exo terra stryfoam rock back gorund. Is there anyway to be able to attach a brrom and or a orchid to this background? And if so do these plants need to have roots in the soil? I am sorry this is all new to me and a bit confusing. Thanks
Hiya! :D

Poke a small hole so the bottom of the brom can hold firm and spread it's roots. Take care not to put it too close to the top of the screen or you will burn the plant. For your orchids, the genus and species will help if they perfer to be mounted or not. Hopefully Frogparty can chime in once you give us a list of the orchids you plan to order.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post the plants tommorow once I purchase them. I still dont understand done the roots of both orchid and broms must be in the substrate? or doe the roots crawl all the way down to the substrate? I am so confused??

·
Registered
124 Posts
most bromiliads can be planted in the substrate or mounted. however the soil must easily drain. for the most part bromiliads specifically the noregelia species is kinda like an air plant meaning it doesnt need a subrate the roots gather water from the air and from water that collects in its leaves. and to my understanding orchids act the same depending on the species.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
most bromiliads can be planted in the substrate or mounted. however the soil must easily drain. for the most part bromiliads specifically the noregelia species is kinda like an air plant meaning it doesnt need a subrate the roots gather water from the air and from water that collects in its leaves. and to my understanding orchids act the same depending on the species.
most vivs can not support the terrestrial growth of common vivarium broms (neoregelia sp. in particular). they will rot and die. i know you addressed it but for most readers the only choice is mounting since the substrates dont drain as well as the broms require.

james

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your repiles, I just got back from the local green house, and I did purchase 2) N.puncatissima Broms whci are in small pots with sphagum moss. I also got: an Oncidium orchid planted in a small pot with moss, and a larger encyclia cochleata in a larger pot with woods chips and maybe soil. Can you tell me what my next step are and should be? Like I said I am a newbiew with plants like this?? Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts