Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you mount bromeliads to the backround ( cork bark )

·
Registered
292 Posts
I usually use silicone, but others prefer to use thread to "hammock" the brom in place until it has time to root itself into the bark.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you think there might be a web site that shows how to pin them down. i havent had luck looking for a decent web site.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, this has been brought up a lot. the way that i do it is to use toothpicks to hold them in. Not through the plant, but a few on either side to make a solid support for it. the toothpicks will blend in to the cork better than silicone or wire and they eventually will breakdown after the plant roots. another method that a lot of people use is to drill 2 holes to either side of the brom and thread fishing line around to hold it up. i havent used that method, because i can always see the line =) but it makes for a solid hold and you can clip it away after it roots enough to hold itself

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Kinda on the same note, how do you mount orchids? And will they do find on the greatstuff backrounds?'

Thanks
Ryan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
depending on the species of orchid, they can be mounted the same way, but i would say that they would probably do much better with a ball of dried moss attached to the root structure when you first put them up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mounting bromads and orchids

Hey guys,

I;ve been thinking the same thing. I like the toothpick idea and was just wondering because I cant tell from the pictures.....
Are you suppose to stab the pick through the base of the plant into the background??? or not.. I would think this would be risky???
I have a cork bark flat background hope they'll go through.

Thanks, Swann

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i feel the same way... they told me to stick them on the sides but not throw the roots and on the pictures he stuck it straight throw the root ball

·
Registered
120 Posts
The sticks are not sticket throw the rootball, but between the outgoing leaf-stalks. They do this with all the plant and they selling a lot of vivariums. So I think that they now how it has to be done.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not through the plant, that will stress it and take forever for it to recover enough to look healthy. what i did was gouge a small hole in the cork and then poke toothpicks around the base of the plant in the hole like a little tee pee.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts