Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well building these things are addicting!! So I thought a rack would be cool! These will be a display rack so quality is a must. So with out anymore words.

So cutting glass turned out to be very rewarding! Cheap to hahah, that's $18 for all that glass and good thick 3/16". The tanks will be automated on lights, fans, & misting. No fancy water features, just simple well balanced planting

Now to tear them apart being they are labeled and get to work on the back grounds.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know 100% yet, but probably two tanks will be held for mint terribilis for two months of grow out while I build the giant viv I have planned (all builds have been just learning experience for the last big one) but the other four tanks are going to be for oophagas (Nancy, granulifera, bribri, redhead... If I can find any of these) then maybe Ranitomeya. I think the egg eater interest me the most due to the high challenge :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm not trying to rain on your parade man but, I personally would consider these tanks way too small for anything but some very temporary thumb growout tanks.

As for any of the more rare obligates you mentioned, I would never keep them in such a small tank.

If you start out with just a small 5.5 gallon tank, add a background, FB, then plants, the useable space for frogs quickly diminishes to almost nothing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would imagine these would be good for arboreal tarantulas.

I also, would not keep those species in 5.5 gal tanks. Maybe Pumilo (Doug) or one of the other pumilio keepers will chime in to give you some advice on what could be done with those tanks as they are still very nice and could be put to use by something.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't know 100% yet, but probably two tanks will be held for mint terribilis for two months of grow out while I build the giant viv I have planned (all builds have been just learning experience for the last big one) but the other four tanks are going to be for oophagas (Nancy, granulifera, bribri, redhead... If I can find any of these) then maybe Ranitomeya. I think the egg eater interest me the most due to the high challenge :)
Kidding...right?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I use these as QT tanks......Only.

They do look good though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet loks like these will make great orchidariums, and small grow out tanks... not much else to do with them at this point then.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You don't have to trash the whole project. You could try selling them as full setups on an Arachno board, then you could put that money towards a few setups.

Go slow, do all your research, and have fun.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So here is a 5.5 next and below a 10gal.... Really guys I understand volume, but I mean it's not like were taking huge differences ... But I think I'm going to sell mine and go with some 10s

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
So here is a 5.5 next and below a 10gal.... Really guys I understand volume, but I mean it's not like were taking huge differences ... But I think I'm going to sell mine and go with some 10s
Good idea. Also, it is a pretty big difference. 10g is almost double the space. The smallest verts I would make for any thumbs would be 15g's though. 20g's from pums. It's up to you in the end.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
any update on these vivs?
I know it's been a while but I wanna see them completed :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes all my viv builds have a 40mm fan that's run on a timer that circulates air, of you look to the left you see the a vent. These pop on 6 or so times a day for twenty plus mins and makes the plants very happy.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yes all my viv builds have a 40mm fan that's run on a timer that circulates air, of you look to the left you see the a vent. These pop on 6 or so times a day for twenty plus mins and makes the plants very happy.
I thought is was bad to be dragging dry air from outside the viv into the viv and that it would lower the humidity.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
air circulation is not bad, Some people leave fans going when ever the lights are on. My humidity still stays at 77 to 80~ even if I don't use a fan I can't not get above 80~. Utah has some dry air.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
air circulation is not bad, Some people leave fans going when ever the lights are on. My humidity still stays at 77 to 80~ even if I don't use a fan I can't not get above 80~. Utah has some dry air.
meh if you seal it up good and put the fan on the inside you can get some high humidity here is my air circulation inside my 10g vert
here is a pic of it

and here is it complete...

and the LEDs give it a moonlight glow at night...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts