Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i didnt want to put this up yet but ive hit a small road block and thought i should ask for help before proceeding.

so i bought some 55 and 40gal tanks online for cheap... had some cleaning to do:eek:

then i did a little altering to suit my needs

anyway after planning it out and putting the construction methods in place the great stuff back ground holding the wood and giving support for mitch's hated shitty litter clay http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...-wood-background-before-adding-clay-else.html

this way i do not experiece the same results as stated in that thread.

now here is where i need help and hopefully share some advice. the question is HOW DO I GET THIS CLAY OFF MY EXPENSIVE MOPANI WOOD!?!?!?!

lesson is wrap the wood,,, always wrap your wood!

ive read vinigar and printer paper, any other suggestions?

anyway working on lights tonight and will be using LEDs on the side with CFLs on the top. the side will help plant growth in the shadows. should look good.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Looks great gonna be an interesting build.....What is it you want off the wood? Great Stuff? I read it a few times and could tell exactly what you wanted to get off the wood GS or the clay.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Try scraping it off with a sharp blade. But be careful.

If it's only a small amount silicone/eco earth it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edited to say clay off my wood haah, I tried water and a tooth brush, but the residue just spread :(

·
Registered
542 Posts
interesting, How do you have the 2 aquariums attached to each other? is the pane of glass at the end of the 55 gone? isnt that a sudden drop from the 55 to the 20?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Keep using water it should come off eventually....Hot water works well, you can let it soak for a while first but if it is in viv kinda hard to do. Can also try a little dish soap and tooth brush. Just make sure to rinse it well and dry. I had a hard time with getting it off my mopani wood as well seemed like the clay would leave a oily residue which the Dawn dish soap took off. I then used some paper towel and wiped it down till is didn't feel slippery. But once you start misting and the viv gets going it won't matter if there is a bit of residue.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No soap will be used... Bad jojo with soaps, watered down vinegar will be used to cut that oily crap I guess.

Holding the tanks together with silicone, then will band it where you see that 3" gap at the joint. This will keep the glass positioned on the lower tank and structurally sound. Glass thickness and width calcs were way fine.

Yes the side of the 55 was completely demoed out so it's one tank. As I was building this I realized this could be the best solution to people who want to have a tree frog and darts. All that would need to be done is add a piece of glass across the 55 mid point creating two cages but the illusion of one.... If that makes sense?

Oh and there will be three access doors to this beast so that nothing is ever out of reach ;)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AHHHHH!!!! brass wire brush

let the clay dry, and wire brush gets it off!!!!
top piece looked like the lower on

but it seems my shitty litter has shrunk a bit and craking

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I would mist it a little and go over it with your hand.....Could be drying out to much or to fast.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Can't wait to see this one come together! :D

I'd drop a plastic sheet or something over the whole thing when you aren't working on it, to keep it humid and keep the clay from drying.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Kitty litter drying up seems to be an irreversible sorta thing... Well, it was for me. I hate kitty litter, if you're going to do clay don't skimp out IME.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Kitty litter drying up seems to be an irreversible sorta thing... Well, it was for me. I hate kitty litter, if you're going to do clay don't skimp out IME.
Oh ye of little faith. I took a clay background tank that had been sitting, unused, unmisted and unlidded (hmm with no cover on it) for several months. Decided to put it back into action. Clay was dry and had cracks about 1/4 inch like a road map. I misted the dry clay, and smooshed new clay into the cracks. Good as new! :D

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Oh ye of little faith. I took a clay background tank that had been sitting, unused, unmisted and unlidded (hmm with no cover on it) for several months. Decided to put it back into action. Clay was dry and had cracks about 1/4 inch like a road map. I misted the dry clay, and smooshed new clay into the cracks. Good as new! :D
Interesting that worked for you... not for me! :(

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the lighting will be custom with CFLs at the tippy top, then at the 90 there will be a side and dow light if that makes sense? access will be through a upper hindge door, then one right below it then a final low top access door. im hopefully putting those on today. they are taped on right now to keep the clay humidity correct. but lets see what i can get in pics tonight

·
Registered
104 Posts
In my little bit of experience with clay I've noticed that the cracking starts to stop after a while but you need to keep it moist until then.

I have a clay vert that has been empty for a few months now and when i first set it up, it was always cracking but now I only mist it every few days and it no longer cracks on me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
sooo was building the light hood and had planned for 2 CFLs at the top since im skeptical of my inital LED idea but still will use some for sure.

i think that ill have right at 3000 LUMENS at the very top
25 Watt Indoor Sunshine ® Full Spectrum Multi-Phosphor CFL Bulb
i stayed away from the 30w since i read they have been REALLLLY hot, is there anyone out there can confirm or deny?

Then would install the LEDs (ill calc lumens a little later when i see how many i can actually fit) right on the inside 90 cornershooting light right were the 55 meets the 40 (the band should hopefully hide the glare when you look at the viv.

i should be able to put the hood on tonight when i get home, and ill see if i can snap a pic to give an idea of what i maybe working with

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.