Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some know, I am now offering custom built LED units (my website will be up any day now...almost complete :) )

I was curious what the most commonly used tank sizes are around here. I am considering the viability of manufacturing some LED units on a larger-run basis that would be far more affordable than current LED units on the market.

Due to the upfront costs of LEDs (power adapters, etc), I am looking at a modular design using 1 plug-n-play power source that can house multiple single-tank LED units.

My current base dimensions are 6"x10" units and 6"x20" units with consideration for 6"x4" units as well. I know many users here do vert-conversions and whatnot or build their own tanks...

So my question to you:

-Are 6"x10" and 6"x20" good "universal" sizes?

-Do I need to consider something smaller? (6"x4"?)
-What are your most common "top" dimensions (area for light source)?
-What are your most commonly used tank sizes? (10gals, 10gal-verts, 15gal, 20H, 20L, etc etc?)

Feel free to hit me with any questions!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I don't know about others, but I am trending away from standard aquariums and moving towards commercially made front opening tanks, ie. Exo-terras and ZooMeds. That would mean 12"x12", 18"x18" and 24"x18". The size of the fixtures would depend on what kind of light spread you can come up with.

If you are in SoCal, I wouldn't mind testing your prototypes for you. :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in Socal :)

The LEDs have wide output but can be modified with lenses.

Good point on the front opening tanks, I will have to look more into those dimensions

I am still toying on various mounting mechanisms. Soon... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts