Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Was it grwoing in shallow water or maybe very wet ground? It looks like Azolla caroliniana. This plant grows a floating aquatic, forming dense mats, which could easily survive on a wet substrate. It is very Selaginella like in apperance, but much more compact. It does develope the blue/purple/red color similar to S. unicata under strong light. It is fairly light demanding and I have had little sucsess with it in the terrarium. The plant is widely used in water gardens (probably mostly by accident) so its found in lots of wierd places.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Semi moist in complete shade though, it was even growing underneath bushes so it didnt get much light.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Was this near the edge of a body of water? When I said light demanding it may have come off a little missleading. I meant as far as terrarium culture goes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Then I will say I am almost 100% certain it is Azolla. It truely is a neat little plant. A close relative of the ferns. I will make suggestion though, if you want to use it and keep it on hand you should set up a small aquarium to culture it in. I do this with Salvinia minima, another "floating fern," and I always have a ready supply for use in water features or on a bog substrate. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well another thing is that it wasnt it kinda stopped within inchesof the water and none was in it, not too posetive, i am going to go back today ill get some photos of it so you can get better view.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I agree with Scott - appears to be lichens. I've got a pretty decent ID key for them. I'll see if I can ID it.

Donn

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah, its wat he said, looks like a certain liver wort though, but all the information i have got says it will do good provided moisture.

Ryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts