Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some moss that I have been growing since an expo as part of a bundle and don't know what it is. I would like to know how I can best grow/use it so it would be helpful if someone could identify it!

https://imgur.com/a/wacvITw

·
Registered
387 Posts
How did it look when you got it? I've had Java moss get this leggy after being out of water in low light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was more low growing when I originally got it but "low light and out of water" is definitely an accurate description of how it has been kept. I thought it might be java but I remember it being quite cheap, if that helps.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Java moss is crazy cheap... If you have it somewhere with light and any nutrients it explodes in growth. I probably have over 20lbs of the stuff that I could get rid of 🤣

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Java moss is crazy cheap... If you have it somewhere with light and any nutrients it explodes in growth. I probably have over 20lbs of the stuff that I could get rid of 🤣
The few times I've seen it at expos its like $6 for literally a 2oz deli cup.

Any way of confirming if it might be java moss?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Moss in vivarium has essentially identical care requirements. Put it on a surface (wood, rock, background) get it as much light as is possible, and make sure it gets wet when misting and then wait. If its java moss the care is the same. You can attach it in slumps or strands and so long as it stays wet enough and gets enough light it will grow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moss in vivarium has essentially identical care requirements. Put it on a surface (wood, rock, background) get it as much light as is possible, and make sure it gets wet when misting and then wait. If its java moss the care is the same. You can attach it in slumps or strands and so long as it stays wet enough and gets enough light it will grow.
So I can cut off the tips and place them on surfaces and they should grow with the right moisture and light?

·
Registered
387 Posts
So I can cut off the tips and place them on surfaces and they should grow with the right moisture and light?
On theory with most Mosses, yes it should. Keep in mind the more stringy the Moss is the less light it's getting. To get the Moss to spread more, it will need more light and higher moisture. If you cut the fronds of the Moss and relocate them to another area that matches the conditions of where this Moss was growing, it may not do more than grow like it is, long and up towards the light.

Most Moss species will feather their way out and work to take over an area that has everything they need, that's why they can easily take over a surface.

Do you happen to have pictures of where this Moss is in your Viv? What kind of lighting are you using? And finally, what is your misting schedule like (how often/how long/manual/or automated)?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On theory with most Mosses, yes it should. Keep in mind the more stringy the Moss is the less light it's getting. To get the Moss to spread more, it will need more light and higher moisture. If you cut the fronds of the Moss and relocate them to another area that matches the conditions of where this Moss was growing, it may not do more than grow like it is, long and up towards the light.

Most Moss species will feather their way out and work to take over an area that has everything they need, that's why they can easily take over a surface.

Do you happen to have pictures of where this Moss is in your Viv? What kind of lighting are you using? And finally, what is your misting schedule like (how often/how long/manual/or automated)?
Up until now it has just been in a fruit fly container on some ABG on a book shelf with very little light. I don't have a grow out tank or anything. But I'm setting up a new vivarium and could make sure it got enough water and light. Was just curious how to best grow it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That would explain why it looks the way it does now.

Best thing to do is not chop it up, but place it in the Viv as it is so that it can settle into the form that the environment can support. Once you start seeing it spread, then I'd cut chunks off to relocate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts