Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up some temporary cages for my leucs that are coming in and just put some shag type moss for substrate. the containers are rubbermaid, and the fumes of the moss are really strong in them. this isnt harmful right?

G

·
smell?

I have never smelled anything coming from my moss in any tank. I had to think of how to reply at first. I pay close attention to my tanks and my moss (I've come to be a moss admirer lately :p ) and I've never noticed any odor. Just earthiness, but its a clean smell, not nasty or dusty smelling.

Is it possible there is a fungus on the moss? I would get some fresh moss and rinse the heck out of it and then try that and get rid of the smelly moss.

G

·
Re: smell?

wcumagic said:
I have never smelled anything coming from my moss in any tank. I had to think of how to reply at first. I pay close attention to my tanks and my moss (I've come to be a moss admirer lately :p ) and I've never noticed any odor. Just earthiness, but its a clean smell, not nasty or dusty smelling.

Is it possible there is a fungus on the moss? I would get some fresh moss and rinse the heck out of it and then try that and get rid of the smelly moss.
I agree. Never heard of smelly moss

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think he means the dry packaged kind you find at the petstore.

I dont think its sphagnum either; probably the green kind because thats what smells the worst, it smells like vinegar. If so, wait a week or two, and the smell should settle down.

M.N

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya moe-but i ordered it from tandc or black jungle as sphagnum, and thats whta came. its not a foul smell, just kind of an earthy smell, like a tank except stronger.its not mold smell or like vinegar. i was just curious though, i dont think its harmful, just after you soak it, it has an overwhelming scent.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
smelly moss

I know what you are talking about, as some of the packaged mosses have this smell. I think it is just an echange of gases or something as it rehydrates... but not too sure. I have never had any problems from this with my frogs, and you could always just wet it and air it out for awhile before putting frogs in with it... but I highly doubt any ill will come of it.

G

·
i love the smell

I think long fiber sphagnum moss smells pretty good at first. This stuff is what i use in everyone of my tanks...expecially quaruntine and rearing boxes.

-Bill J.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
So are we talking abotu sheet moss? I have not ever had it grow, but want to try it again on just gravel. Anyone have it growing or do you all just use pillow moss?

I'm thinking on what to do with my three new tanks, but need to oder some stuff, I find of like just the gravel, but not very realistic.

john_159 said:
I set up some temporary cages for my leucs that are coming in and just put some shag type moss for substrate. the containers are rubbermaid, and the fumes of the moss are really strong in them. this isnt harmful right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts