Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what moss would be best for a floor of a newt tank.
-java moss seems more for aquariums and not in a terrestrial setup
-NeHerd moss?
-Joshs frogs pillow or sheet moss?

I really don't know which moss will thrive on a floor of a terrestrial tank? Any input would be great!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You won't fond a straight answer to the question as it stands, or at least an accurate one. We need a bit more information to make a decent call.

Java moss is definitely very popular in the aquarium hobby and it does very well submersed, but it also can thrive in a humid setting when mounted. I think it would grow best on a solid surface such as a very moist piece of driftwood rather than simply on the substrate. Pillow and sheet moss might do alright but my gut feeling is that they may fail to thrive.

Honestly, I can rarely find a situation where growing moss terrestrially is of any benefit to the animals in the enclosure. Usually, it also less functional than either straight substrate or leaf litter. Is there a particular reason why you would like to grow moss on your substrate?

John

Reactions: rigel10

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A pair of Triturus Marmoratus. I love how the moss is in this pic but not looking to cover the entire floor, just for some highlight spots.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is some really nice moss in my back yard but my dad put some winter fertilizer down on the yard about 2 weeks ago, I'm assuming thats a no go?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts