Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went up to my camp the other day and was looking for spoted salamanders and there is an area that is very wet and is full of tress that have been blown over and are covered with moss and ferns and some of the areas that have a couple inches of water have stuff just like java moss growing in it and then coming out if the water and covering the land taking a slightly different from like java does.
Ok! So here is my question, I took home some samples of this stuff and pulled off full moss mats from larger rocks coming out of the bog type spots, with all kinds of really nice fern and grass growth on it. But the forest is mixed with both deciduous and conifers and I know alof the the substrate that is with the stuff I got is from the broken down matter from the conifers and ther are pine needles all in it. So would this be safe for Darts or Mantellas?

G

·
any time you take something from the wild, you run a risk of it having something bad for the frogs in it. Some people scoff at this and wash it off good and use it while other people will religiously stay away from anything that can not be proved sterile.

If the question was about the sharp edges of the pine needles hurting the frogs, i would say that probably yes. Take a piece of plastic wrap and push it down gently on the moss. if it pokes holes in the plastic will very little pressure, the frogs will probably be at risk. on the other hand, they are fairly intelligent animals and will probably avoid anything that would obviously damage them.

I know thats not much of an difinitive answer to your question, but without seeing the moss, or where they came from, it's difficult to say.

Remember though, set up the tank long before the frogs go in, just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Where are you from? I see the same java moss looking stuff at swamps down here. And tons of ferns and moss.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i wasnt worried about sharp pine needles. I hear that you shouldnt use logs and brances from conifers for your frogs, I think because of the acidity. So I was wondering if the substrate from around these kinds of trees would be bad to.

G

·
i dont think that the acidity would remain high enough to hurt the frogs, but if you are concerned about it, you can get PH test kits at most pet stores.

G

·
I live in the Northeast and I have been using moss from the pine forest outside my house in my vivs. I does great and looks great for several months, then tends to die out because it's used to a dormant stage in winter. But even in winter I can always find more. As for cleaning, as I know that the moss I am getting has not been contaminated with ANYTHING I usually just give it a rinse. Same with the wood. It does not make sense to make a big fuss about sterilizing/disinfecting something that you KNOW is not contaminated. I spend more effort on store bought item's since I have no clue where they came from.

So yes, I think your good to go but expect any temperate plants you put in your viv to eventually recede and die. But there's always more where they came from!

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts