Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was wondering what has been everyones luck in morphing out tadpoles.
Do you use sweater boxes with partial land and a dish for springtails or do you have a better idea. do you gravel or a nice supply of oak leave bedding. As well as putting them in as soon as they sprout their front legs. I have set up a couple differnt methods but am wondering what is everyone sucess with their methods.Thanks in Advance

G

·
0 Posts
I have always kept tads in deli cups with 2-4" of water up until the frog legs have emerged and the tail begins being 'cosumed'. During this time, the water level is dropped down to a half inch and a ventilated lid is secured onto the cups. Once the tail is nearly gone, the froglets will climb out of the water and hang out on the sides of the cups. When this is noted, I drain off the remaining water and place the cups, on their sides, into 5 gallon sterlites which has been setup for a month or so and preseeded with springtails. The froglets are then free to leave these cups on their own. These sterlites are lined with cocohusks and topped with long fiber sphagnum moss and is planted with pothos, prayer plant or any small leaf philo type plant. The planting does not need to be very heavy at first as it will grow in during the couple months that they are bing kept in the sterlites. Hope this helps.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'd echo what Bill described above except that I see no need to use springtails-- my azureus, terribilis and tincs morph out big enough to accept melanogastor ff's.

G

·
0 Posts
Scott,

My main reason for using springtails is not completely for feeding. I find it nice to have some sort of method of naturally cleaning waste/decaying matter in the sterlites as I don't like changing them or disturbing them during this period. The added bonus to the cleansing is that the frogs have something more nutritious (though smaller) than fruitflies, to pick on between feedings.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I agree with bill

But why limit your frogs to only fruitflies. They do indeed help keep your nursery clean, but I think that the froglets will try the springtails as well. Variety in food items is a good thing. Not to say that FF alone is a bad thing. But I think that the variety gives you an edge.
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts