Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys keep your frogs, once they completely morph out. I gather most keep them in shoe boxes with some leaf litter and pothos. What about the substrate? Nothing, paper towels ?

what about ventilation/misting in shoe boxes?

Just curious

Marty

PS> I always used a fully planted terraria for morphed out frogs, but wanted to try the shoe boxes as they might give me more control

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I prefer to use the 76oz. gladware containers for newly morphed froglets, and 10 gallons for groups of juveniles. The gladware keeps the flies and frogs in great, and they are easily stacked. The containers only need to misted occasionaly because they have little ventilation. I check on my froglets daily so they get all the air they need then. For substrate I use a a layer of sphagnum moss seeded with springtails, with oak leaf litter, and pothos clippings. I used to use paper towels for froglets, but they get soiled quickly and must be changed every 3-4 days, paper towels are breeding ground for bacteria.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I don't put any airholes in them, as I open them once a day usually to allow for air exchange and to feed them. Plus I stack them so the airholes would be blocked.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Interesting for sure, but if I did it, I'm sure that I couldn't resist poking a couple of holes on the side near the top under the lid.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I use either planted 10 gal. tanks or planted sweater boxes with sphagnum as a substrate. I've tried the various stipped down methods using paper towels or sponge matting but you have to be rigorous about changing the toweling or sponge if you don't want to kill the frogs with bacteria. Also, early on I ran into a few problems with froglets raised in simple environments not acclimating to the more complex environment of a planted vivarium. Now I raise all froglets from the start in an environment with leaf litter, a dark, natural substrate, and plants. Seems to work much better for me which means low maintenance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I use plastic "critter keepers" with new covers made out of glass. I put in an inch a pea gravel for drainage followed by sphagnum moss and then plant them with pothos or other hardy tropical. I always had problems with opening plastic shoe boxes. Maybe it was just the brand I used, but I had to work to get the boxes open, and by that time the frogs were all shook up and ready to hop out as soon as the cover was off. It was also difficult to view the frogs.

G

·
I use the cheapest rubbermaid or whatever-maid shoe boxes and PAPER TOWEL with some plant cuttings and a few oak leaves. Yes you have to change the paper towel more offten , but you need to have a substrate that allows you to observe that they are pooping and also that they have unobstructed access to the ff and springtails.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts