Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering with my great stuff and silicone background, do I need to cut the foam off below the water level or just cover it with extra silicone? Will the silicone break down if its submerged in water?

And, will male frogs call if the females aren't present?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Silicone is designed to hold up under constant sumersion. But you should look for aquarium safe silicone because some brands of silicone can leach out some noxious chemicals.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I know the GE silicone II has fungal and mold inhibitors, so if there was a section that would be underwater, i would at the very least cover that section with GE Silicone I, which is just pure silicone. The silicone II is fine if its above the water.

·
Registered
665 Posts
GE silicon II 100% silicon is fine totally submersed in water once it is fully cured. I have had all of my false bottom tanks water supplies in contact with it and the foam and have had no problems at all.

rob

·
Registered
793 Posts
All I know is that I have been told by many aquarium and turtle hobbyists that using that stuff underwater will slowly poison fish and turtles alike.

I know this will elicit stories of how so-and-so has been using it for years, and such-and-such a breeder recommend it, but with my frogs I err on the side of caution and use silicone I if the area is going to be underwater.

Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Better safe than sorry is a good rule of thumb.
I however have never had a problem or heard of a problem with GE Silicone II. I don't have a tube infront of me but I am pretty sure it is 100% pure silicone, nothing more, nothing less. All the 'aquarium' silicone just appears to be a marketing ploy to raise the price

-Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many products that are marked 100% silicone have other ingredients that are suplemental, but are not active ingredients. Mold inhibitors are one of the key ingredients. There has been some findings that they can be toxic if used in aquatic aquariums and therefore it is a good idea to double check what you are using. I have always bulk ordered my silicone from McMaster Carr, so am unfamiliar with the GE types. I will try to get the information on the silicone that is truly 100% silicone and no addatives. The silicones marketed for aquarium use are safe, but can be costly. I will look for the brand that is both affordable and safe.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The kind to get is GE Silicone II for windows and doors, all the other kinds have mold inhibitors, such as the kitchen and bath.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I happen to have my tube of Silicone II right here. This is an exact reproduction of what appears on the tube. It says:

Silicone II
100% Silicone Sealant
Clear

Window & Door

Our Very Best
LIFETIME GUARANTEE

* Indoor/Outdoor Use
* Will Not Shrink
* Outstanding Adhesion
* Permanently Flexible
* Watertight
* Low Odor

WARNING:

Uncured product causes irritation. Read back panel before using.

On the back it says:

GE Silicone II Window & Door is Our Very Best 100% Silicone Sealant that offers outstanding adhesion and maximum performance in inerior and exterior applications.

Use on: * Doors * Windows * Siding * Trim * Molding * Baseboards * Vents

QUALITY SCALE (Highest = 7, Lowest = 0)

ADHESION

Wood - Cedar/Red Oak/PT Decking 7
Metal - Stainless/Aluminum/Galvanized 7
Masonry - Brick/Concrete/Granite 7
Glass 7
Vinyl Siding 7
Drywall/Plaster 7
Plastic - PVC/ABS/Polycarbonate 7
Paintabilty No
Flexibility 7
Durability 7
Tack-Free 30 Min
Full-Cure 24 Hours
Tool Clean-Up Solvent

Coverate @ 3/16" bead = 50 linear feet

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE: 1. Remove dirt, grease, moisture and old caulk. If joint size exceeds 1/2" x 1/2", use backer rod. 2. Mask both sides of joint. 3. Cutnozzle to desired bead size. Pierce seal. Load sealant cartridge in caulking gun. Place nozzle into joiint and apply sealant into gap. Aply above 40 degrees F (5 degrees C). 4. Smooth or "tool" bead if needed.. Remove masking tape immediately. Replace cap. 5. Wipe hands and tools thoroughly before washing. Tack free in 30 minutes, normally cures in 24 hours. Store unused sealant in dry area at least less than 70 degrees F (27 degrees C).

NOT FOR: Surface that will exceed 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), conditions where FDA compliance is neccessary, aquariums.

WARNING: UNCURED PRODUCT CAUSES IRRITATION. MAY CAUSE HEADACHE, DIZZINESS, NAUSEA. Methanol and ammonia released during application and cure. Avoid breathing vapors. Use good ventilation and NIOSH approved respirator. If experiencing effects listed above, move to fresh air. Get medical attention if symptoms persist. Avoid contact; wear skin and eye protection. Remove contact lenses before using. Do not touch lenses until sealant is cleaned from fingers, nails, cuticles. Sealant may transfer to lenses causing severe eye irritation. Eye contact; immediately flush with water for 15 minutes; get medical attention if irritation persists. Repeated or prolonged contact may cause skin, respitory, kidney, cardiovascular effects. For health information, see Material Saftey Data Sheet or call 518-237-3330. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Warranty: GE Sealants and Adhesive (GES&A) warrants the performance of this product, provided it is properly stored and applied. If not satisfied, return cartridge or proof of purchase to address below and GES&A will, at its option, replace or refund the purchase price. THIS IS THE SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY (AND SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE LIABILITY OF GES&A) FOR DEFECTS IN OR FAILURE OF THIS PRODUCT. THIS WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, WRITTEN OR ORAL, STATUTORY, EXPRESS, OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have used it and and so have many other people on the board with no ill effects, ge just puts in on there to cover themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where do u guys get the GE Silicone, because i know neither our local Meards or Lowes have it and my dad isn't going to drive me 60 miles to Home Depot to get it. I ended up just using the kitchen counter top stuff because it was safe to eat off. Hopefully i wont have problems but so far i havent and its been 3+ months and the frogs in there look fine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
DAP also makes pure silicone. I buy GE Silicone I as well as II. Home Depot has them as well as Lowes. I buy the DAP stuff at ACE. I really feel the 'aquarium grade' is a joke. But if it makes someone feel better, for a few more dollars a tube, buy it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts