Dendroboard banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On April 7, 2014, I dusted some milled sphagnum in a quart canning jar with spores from a Pyrrosia nummularifolia. I got a whole bunch of prothallia pretty quickly, but then they did nothing at all, just sat there, for another year and a half. I misted them once in a while hoping to get the sperm swimming, but nothing. Finally just a little while ago I was trimming out some large volunteer "weed" ferns that came in with the moss, and discovered that the Pyrrosia is finally doing something. It's about time.
It's interesting that the first fronds are long and strap shaped. I always hope for a different form when I plant spores, but so far everything I've tried has come up visually identical to the parent plant.
Maybe I'll get around to growing these out sooner than I did with the Tectaria zeylanica, not leave them in the jar for 5 years.





 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top