Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Vivaria

Very nice looking tanks. Are you planning on selling them? I've been thinking about trying my hand at building tanks, but I don't know whether or not to try glass, plexi, or polycarbonate.

G

·
0 Posts
Very nice Kyle.
Dr. Frye, I just want to to be careful using plexi as your door. I have tried it and have yet to find a way to keep it from warping, unless you use a lot of locks. I do know that Mark Pepper is using acrylic, even for the doors, and hasn't had a warping issue, but haven't talked to him enough to see how he took care of that issue.

Now that I think about it, Scott M. how did you stop the doors from warping?

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Vivaria

I am tossing around the idea, but to make it worth it for me they might end up being a bit high in price. Not sure what people would be willing to spend. They are 14 inches deep, by 11 wide, and 18 high. I use 1/4 inch glass also.
One thing I try to do is offer as much unobstructed viewing as possible with the low front, and clear hinge and handle. So far I am very pleased with the look, and I made them so 4 fit right on a 4ft rack. I should be able to get 12 on my current rack, but right now 4 is enough.

How much do you think they would be worth? Some people are selling acrylic ones for $100+.

Here is a picture of the prototype up and running with my Vents in it:

Dr. Frye said:
Very nice looking tanks. Are you planning on selling them? I've been thinking about trying my hand at building tanks, but I don't know whether or not to try glass, plexi, or polycarbonate.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Kyle how much would you say it costs to build one like that? I want to try it out but just need an estimate on suplies and all.

Ryan

G

·
0 Posts
I really think it would help you selling them to predrill them for drains and misting nozzles. The biggest issue people have with a glass tank is the drilling.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've thought about that, i'm sure I could get the bottom drilled. I am looking for a better latch. The one I am useing is not bad, but just not what I want.

I have these now, but it is about impossible to open the tank without freaking the frogs out. I want something that can be moved over to hold the glass. front. Any ideas?

Bgreen said:
I really think it would help you selling them to predrill them for drains and misting nozzles. The biggest issue people have with a glass tank is the drilling.

G

·
0 Posts
kyle1745 said:
I've thought about that, i'm sure I could get the bottom drilled. I am looking for a better latch. The one I am useing is not bad, but just not what I want.

I have these now, but it is about impossible to open the tank without freaking the frogs out. I want something that can be moved over to hold the glass. front. Any ideas?

Bgreen said:
I use the latch that Ken sells...not the one you have but the other one, like the kind you would put on a gate. It secures well and makes no noise.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My only concern with those is that I would have to attach it to the screen on my current design. I have the screen starting 1 inch from the door, so it keeps the door fog free without any active cooling. So far it has worked out great. I did pick up some smaller brass ones like that may work. I have one drying now and will see how it is tomorrow. So far it may work, but there goes my all acrylic parts to keep it totally clear. :)

MBMcEwen said:
kyle1745 said:

Bgreen said:
I use the latch that Ken sells...not the one you have but the other one, like the kind you would put on a gate. It secures well and makes no noise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts