Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still not 100% sure, but I think that I might have 2 female azureus. If there's no male present, will they fight? Also, will they lay eggs if there is no male? And on the flip side, will the males call if there are no females? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
I only have a pair, and haven't had the same sex together or seperate (traded for them when they were a subadult pair) so I can't talk from experience with azureus... but can note on other frogs. I haven't had any females lay eggs without males in the tank, and doubt they would lay unless there was a calling male near by. I have heard males call without females in many species, so that is possible. Not sure if they will definatly fight, as I know some people keep groups of "nongroup" darts (azureus, tincs, etc) that haven't reported any fighting... but maybe they just don't see it, or the order is already established so there is no need to fight (especially if there are no boys or girls to fight over lol).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
I think as long as they have a decent-sized viv as well as a few hiding spots, they should be able to keep out of each other's way. I think jbeetle covered everything very well as far as the calling, laying eggs, etc. I've never seen a female lay eggs without a male present, but I have heard male darts of many kinds call without a female present.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,228 Posts
I have never had anything but a pair either, but I do not think they will fight without a male around. I could be wrong, but I seem to rememeber reading that someplace.

Arklier said:
I'm still not 100% sure, but I think that I might have 2 female azureus. If there's no male present, will they fight? Also, will they lay eggs if there is no male? And on the flip side, will the males call if there are no females? Thanks.
 
G

·
I've kept females together (azureus, tincs and arautus) and have seen mixed results. I've found that if they have been kept together since froglets, you won't see much, if any, disputes. The pecking order seems to have began since their early days and they have no reason to contest each other. Now, when placing 2 female 'strangers' together, that's a different issue...I've seen them tear into eachg other.

-Bill J.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,228 Posts
With or with out a male present? or both?

BillJohnson said:
I've kept females together (azureus, tincs and arautus) and have seen mixed results. I've found that if they have been kept together since froglets, you won't see much, if any, disputes. The pecking order seems to have began since their early days and they have no reason to contest each other. Now, when placing 2 female 'strangers' together, that's a different issue...I've seen them tear into eachg other.

-Bill J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
if you have male ,he should call.because he will want to let other male know he's their.so ,none of your two frogs call,you probably have both female.and female azureus seen like the agressiver toward each other even their's no male present.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't witnessed any fighting, but they have been together for about 9 months now, since they were tiny 1/2" froglets. They have different shaped bodies and front feet, but I haven't seen any calling either. They're both probably a little less than a year old. I've heard that you should be able to tell, and some people can tell as soon as 6 months. I'm starting to get the feeling that if I do have any males in there, they're late bloomers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I have a cobalt male that hasn't called and he's a year out of water. Big toe pads, slender shape, but no calling and no courtship behavior. Sounds like you have a late bloomer like me.

-Ben
 
G

·
kyle1745 said:
With or with out a male present? or both?

BillJohnson said:
I've kept females together (azureus, tincs and arautus) and have seen mixed results. I've found that if they have been kept together since froglets, you won't see much, if any, disputes. The pecking order seems to have began since their early days and they have no reason to contest each other. Now, when placing 2 female 'strangers' together, that's a different issue...I've seen them tear into eachg other.

-Bill J.
Both. I've kept a trio of 1.2 together for a month or so and never had a problem with fighting. It should also be noted that they never produced either. The 2 females were a couple that I had raised up from froglets.

-Bill J.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top