Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking I'm going to do a much taller enclosure. What are some good species to look at that would utilize the vertical space?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
What dimensions are you thinking? Do you currently keep any darts? From what I’ve read practically any species will use all available space. My auratus definitely climb although they spend more time on the floor of my viv. Leucomelas seem to be one of the more beginner friendly species that is reported to frequently climb.

Species that are referred to as more arboreal are usually the “thumbnail” variety. They are generally not recommended for a first time dart owner though. They are much smaller and typically more reclusive which makes spotting problems more difficult. If you do have some experience then the frogs I’m currently looking at for my next pair are ranitomeya imitators, R. Variabilis, and R. Vanzolinii. From my research these are generally more bold although that can change from viv to viv and frog to frog.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What dimensions are you thinking? Do you currently keep any darts? From what I’ve read practically any species will use all available space. My auratus definitely climb although they spend more time on the floor of my viv. Leucomelas seem to be one of the more beginner friendly species that is reported to frequently climb.

Species that are referred to as more arboreal are usually the “thumbnail” variety. They are generally not recommended for a first time dart owner though. They are much smaller and typically more reclusive which makes spotting problems more difficult. If you do have some experience then the frogs I’m currently looking at for my next pair are ranitomeya imitators, R. Variabilis, and R. Vanzolinii. From my research these are generally more bold although that can change from viv to viv and frog to frog.
No I've not had any darts yet. Im thinking 18x18x36"
I have a 36x18x36" exotera I use for crested geckos and I want one to fit next to that one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
18x18x36 sounds like a great size for a pair of ranitomeya. Again, maybe not the best beginner frogs but I’ll let you do your own research and let others who have first hand experience chime in. I’ll note that it’s a good idea to pick out a species first and then design your viv around them.

·
Super Moderator
3,316 Posts
Most “Highland” morphs of every frog live up in the mountains. The name kind of sums it up.
Hmmm...they didn't climb up that mountain. I'm afraid this thought involves some unconscious anthropomorphizing.

A species climbs more or less in relation to the niche it exploits in the wild, which is driven by territorial patterns, breeding strategies, an the like. Also, captive behavior is often an artifact of captivity, so some species that are commonly claimed to be "terrestrial" exhibit those behaviors at least in part because their viv is set up to promote that sort of movement.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hmmm...they didn't climb up that mountain. I'm afraid this thought involves some unconscious anthropomorphizing.

A species climbs more or less in relation to the niche it exploits in the wild, which is driven by territorial patterns, breeding strategies, an the like. Also, captive behavior is often an artifact of captivity, so some species that are commonly claimed to be "terrestrial" exhibit those behaviors at least in part because their viv is set up to promote that sort of movement.
Should of said a little bit more arboreal as most morphs are found at a higher elevation. I feel like I’m sleeping when writing some of these posts.

·
Registered
211 Posts
A species that lives on a tepui would be less arboreal and probably climb less, not more...
I see. I think the question went over my head, I’m thinking of frogs at high elevations.
My epips climb a lot though as they are known to use a lot of space in a tank. Plus they are easy to take care of.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm stealing (and paraphrasing) something someone else on this board said here, apologies because I completely forget who it was:

We like to think of a 3' tall viv as mimicking an "arboreal" setting, but in reality 36" in the wild is tantamount to the frogs climbing up on a fallen tree or over a large stone.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm stealing (and paraphrasing) something someone else on this board said here, apologies because I completely forget who it was:

We like to think of a 3' tall viv as mimicking an "arboreal" setting, but in reality 36" in the wild is tantamount to the frogs climbing up on a fallen tree or over a large stone.
That's a really good way to think about it. I think if you asked people the question "What size glass box would do you think is acceptable, to put out in the rainforest, and confine its inhabitants?" that the answers would be far larger than "What size glass box do you think is acceptable, to make a rainforest in, bring inside, and hold those same inhabitants?".

·
Super Moderator
3,316 Posts

This is not only true, and useful, but is really applicable to many...uh...misconceptions about captive husbandry that are adjacent to the "little slice of nature" / "minature ecosystem" idea. A little branch that looks like a tree isn't a tree, and doesn't function as one; a little river isn't a river, and doesn't function as one; flashing lights and extra misting isn't a thunderstorm, and doesn't function as one. (Edit to add: this last example was written before I read a recent post about just this -- no reference to that thread was intended. :))

·
Registered
201 Posts
flashing lights and extra misting isn't a thunderstorm, and doesn't function as one. (Edit to add: this last example was written before I read a recent post about just this -- no reference to that thread was intended. :))
Haha, this is probably one of my posts. I agree that my thunderstorms are wholly for my benefit, although the frogs don't seem to mind them, and are usually very active right after them (but that probably has more to do with the dimming lights and misting that occurs, than it does anything else).

I think in captive husbandry, we lose a lot of benefits of the natural ecosystems, but also provide benefits in the form of a constant food supply and a protection from predators. The fact is, nature is a brutal and unforgiving competition for limited resources, and I don't think it's necessarily in the best interest of our animals to mimic that environment.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to do a much taller enclosure. What are some good species to look at that would utilize the vertical space?

I have a 5 foot tall vivarium and I have 5 Pyllobates Terriblis (orange morph) and they are up and down all day long! They have gone to the top of a stump that is 2 inches below the top glass, and then they sit on the shoreline, right next to the water. They LOVE climbing! One thing, I have a lot of easy access areas, so keep that in mind. Also, any water feature should have plenty of egress areas, and be careful not to make any areas that they can get UNDER (water) and not be able to get out from.

The second pic is not at the top. This is about the middle of the Vivarium, just to give you an idea how they get all over the place.

Would love to see what you come up with!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 5 foot tall vivarium and I have 5 Pyllobates Terriblis (orange morph) and they are up and down all day long! They have gone to the top of a stump that is 2 inches below the top glass, and then they sit on the shoreline, right next to the water. They LOVE climbing! One thing, I have a lot of easy access areas, so keep that in mind. Also, any water feature should have plenty of egress areas, and be careful not to make any areas that they can get UNDER (water) and not be able to get out from.

The second pic is not at the top. This is about the middle of the Vivarium, just to give you an idea how they get all over the place.

Would love to see what you come up with!

View attachment 297507

View attachment 297508
I love these, definitely one of my favorites I have seen so far.

I'm also considering swapping things around. I could use the big enclosure for frogs and downgrade the cresty. She is alone right now and would probably be just as happy in an enclosure half the size.

Beautiful setup and I love the picture with the reflection!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts