Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the new Monsoons came in last week. I've been meaning to open one up to see if they actually DID fix the leaking issue. They did! (All customers of ours who bought a Monsoon before 6/1/11 should have been contacted by us about this. Let me know if we missed you!)

Anyways. Pictures!

Old leaky bulkhead:

New nicer bulkhead:

Other noticeable changes are a new motor which is green. No longer the "chinastar" silver pump thing. Also the AC input jack is glued and clipped in place... No longer just clipped. Just figured there were some people wondering about the "updated" Monsoon. :) Hopefully this helps!

Edit: The one we opened is now in use at the retail store, btw... I'm not opening up customer's Monsoons. :p

Registered
DARN!!! i took mine in for a replacement last week (to a local vendor) and just got a replacement... no updates were incorperated into what i got :( err, would love to see some pics of the pump and the electrical comps. thats what ended up failing on mine (the timer system ended up becoming non-predictable or adjustable.)

Registered
I have had mine since it first came out and the nozzels are all broke they dont even mist anymore. i have no idea where to get new nozzels and i feel like this system is a waste. GL with yours.

Registered
I hope they eventually do bring them out. I think they loose some of their customers to Mist King on that one. The Monsoon would be ideal for the guy wanting to run a misting system for just 2 or 3 vivs. Obviously for additional vivs the Mist King would be a little more practical.

Registered
See, I always thought products like the monsoon that are made by zoomed and exo terra are really more geared toward casual owners (which are a large percentage of the mainstream pet market IMO) more than anything else. Mistking however seems more geared toward hobbyists. So in my mind once you transition to being more of a hobbyist, zoomed/exoterra and the like start losing your business anyhow.

That said, I wouldn't turn down a good deal on a monsoon. It would be really nice just as something small and inexpensive, but at retail it's not that far from the mistking price.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think they loose some of their customers to Mist King on that one.
Just some? :p The lack of additional misting heads (dates keep getting pushed back), and the initial leak problem... Whew. Sure could have went better for Exo Terra. The minimum advertised price of $119 doesn't help, either when Marty @ Mist King has the "starter kit" (which is 10X more than 90% of hobbyists need) for $99 now. I think if the Monsoon was $99 and actually had the additional misters available it would be much more practical. Even then... It's no Mist King.

The one thing Monsoon has going for it is it's accessibility and ease of just popping it beneath a display viv in a case somewhere. All-in-one unit that's simple & quick to operate & set up. Don't take this as a dig towards Mist King. We have 2 of his systems in our breeding rooms. ;)

I didn't want this to turn into a Monsoon VS Mist King thread, tho... Just a simple, "Yes they DID fix it and here's proof". :)

Registered
I have had mine since it first came out and the nozzels are all broke they dont even mist anymore. i have no idea where to get new nozzels and i feel like this system is a waste. GL with yours.
Yeah I had mine shortly after release... not happy/impressed.
As for new Nozzels. I went to home Depot and bought some Spray nozels and ran some 1/4" tubing to my other tanks.. it actually works alright but the loss of pressure is absurd the two original misters had an OK spray pattern in the beginning but after adding 3 more spray nozzels... they're kinda pathetic.

So for this "Fix," can ANYONE just take their monsoon back and have it replaced? or is there a manufacturere's number we can call and do an RMA?

oh btw.. I just bought a mist king today.. look for my monsoon on the classifieds soon (if I can get this "fix" i might have a BNIB one for sale LOL)

Registered
Let me get this right. 99 bucks you get crap aka monsoon, for 99 bucks you get the start package from mistking which we all know is a great system. My 2 cents mistking will win every time. Why after all the reviews and headaches from people would you even buy version 2?

Registered
true statement.. but off topic.

I got my from LLL reptile at a local retail (they're down the street) and I think it was like 80$ for me. and I didn't have to pay shipping. so the uh..I can get it now itch kinda won out. but hind sight being 20/20.. it is what it is.

Registered
Just got my Monsoon in the mail today, thanks Mike!

The Mist King setup seems great, I debated buying one for some time but IMO it's a little overkill for my current tank setups. If I expand in the future I can tell you I won't be buying a Monsoon for every new tank I create;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts