Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I made a few new cultures almost a week ago, and I've just noticed that they're developing mold. should I just toss them? luckily I have enough cultures to last me a few days, plus there's a reptile store nearby that always has fruit flies so it's not the end of the world. how can I keep the mold from spreading? and any tips on ensuring this doesn't happen again? I'm planning on doing using water/vinegar next time. any advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Throw away the culture to prevent the spread of mold. I havent had mold problems since I began using a 50:50 water vinegar mixture. The vinegar should keep the mold at bay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
f

first, move them away from your "clean" cultures if you have any. That mold WILL spread to others.

If I have some that are still producing but are starting to mold, I'll take them somewhere else away from my other cultures and feed from them. It's probably better all around to just get rid of them so the mold won't spread.

Check out my recipe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use regular potato flakes (although I figure my frogs are worth the best, so I get the more expensive ones (.20 more in the can!!!)). Using about 2 cups of flakes, I add the 50/50 warm water and white vinegar mix which is just that, about 50% of each until its the consistancy of pudding. I then add about 4 heaping spoonfuls of powdered sugar, 1 good dusting of paprika (probably 1/4 spoonful), plus a heaping spoonful of brewers yeast. Mix it up.

Let it cool. In that time, make a half cup of WARM water and put in 1/4 spoonful of bakers yeast and the same of powdered sugar. Mix that up. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Smell it and enjoy! Well, maybe.

After everything is cooled off to room temperature, use a spoon and glob the media in even portions in all your fly containers (I use mason jars with wide lids, so if you ever need a glass, you can just grab one of those and pour your tea and ice in it!). Then pour about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the yeasty mixture on top of each one and then add the excelcior. It will be really sloppy at first, but after about 30 minutes of sitting, the yeasty mixture will soak in and make it just right! Wait till this soaks in before proceeding.

At this point you add flies and wish them luck. this makes about 6 mason jar cultures for me. This is how I did it anyway. If you have an idea let me know, there may be something I missed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
\

This does pretty darn good at production and it doesnt mold much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses. None of them are producing too much, I think I'll feed the adults that are still in there and then just toss them. Will red wine vinegar work? it's all I have at the moment and I want to get a jump on making cultures as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Any vinegar will work, but I like to use distilled white vinegar because it is the cheapest. I recommend looking at Sams Club or Costco because they have it preety cheap.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Walmart has gallons of the distilled white vinegar for like $2. Here is a recipe that I use that works EXTREMELY well.

3 cups potato flakes
1 cup powder sugar
1 cup brewer's yeast
Makes about 10 to 12 cultures
Mix in 50/50 water/vinegar with the dry stuff until a good consistency OR put 1/4 cup of the dry stuff into 32 oz culture, than add 3/4 cup of water to the culture. If it does not all take, then add a little more water and mix around with a spoon. Then after cooled, and the top is dried a little, sprinkle some active dry yeast on top then lightly mist the top with water. Then add flies, and in 2 weeks (or less) you will have an abundance of flies. This medium works great with hydei as well, just takes them a little longer to get started

Best of luck to you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts