Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Montreal, Canada for Thanksgiving. Before I left, I Ground up some moss and milk in the blender for my new 10g tank, and poured it on my pre-baked driftwood.

When I came back today, I looked in my tank, and this is what I saw:

What could be the problem? Should I get rid of it? If so, How?

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is this wood from outside? my first viv i put in some sweet looking driftwood i found outside and it molded over. Your best best is to buy some driftwood online or pick some up at a pet store that can handle the high humidity and tropical enviroment of a vivarium. Also, stay away from grapewood..its tends to mold badly.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What should I do to get rid of it?

Yes, it is from outside, but I don't think that is the problem. The mold started on the ground, so it must be from the milk.

·
Registered
599 Posts
it is, the milk is not useful for the moss whatsoever. the acidity of the decaying milk also hinders the moss' growth.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
It will subside once the milk has been used up. Milk is commonly used for moss milkshakes outside, but in the high humidity setting of a viv, it's not necessary.
what is the best way to make a moss milkshake for vivs?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet, but I have some ready in another viv. Just waiting to put some extra water in and extract them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
what is the best way to make a moss milkshake for vivs?
I've just chopped it up finely with water and then "painted" it where I wanted it. I've only done it a few times and had decent success, but that was with locally collected moss so I wasn't putting much faith that it would take hold. Temperate moss needs a dormant period.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I've just chopped it up finely with water and then "painted" it where I wanted it. I've only done it a few times and had decent success, but that was with locally collected moss so I wasn't putting much faith that it would take hold. Temperate moss needs a dormant period.
I well I would want to use a tropical type of moss.
I'm thinking about using the 50/50 moss/sphagnum maybe mixed with beer.
By time I get frogs the beer should be long gone.
Would misting wash it away?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts