Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking in the back of my viv and I found some mold growing on a piece of drift wood. I can get some off but not all of it. My frogs never go back there and it isn't visible by just looking at the front. What do I need to do and how can I prevent it from coming back?

I built my landscape out of Great Stuff, silicone and peat. I have water around my entire viv but I don't have a pump in. It's about 1/4 of a gallon of water.

I have some dying water plants, which are probably dying from lack of light. Should I remove those? I don't see any mold where the peat is really wet, so maybe it only grows on damp areas like the driftwood.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Mold happens. It's quite common in newer vivs. Don't worry, it will pass. Adding some springtails will take care of it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mold happens. It's quite common in newer vivs. Don't worry, it will pass. Adding some springtails will take care of it.
Will the mold go away on it's own? For some reason the drift wood is pretty wet. Should I stop misting for a bit, or drain the water in the viv? I'll order some springtails from Josh's Frogs as soon as I can.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Will the mold go away on it's own? For some reason the drift wood is pretty wet. Should I stop misting for a bit, or drain the water in the viv? I'll order some springtails from Josh's Frogs as soon as I can.
What are you using for drift wood?
How much water is in the viv.
Pictures always help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you using for drift wood?
How much water is in the viv.
Pictures always help.
Not sure what type of wood, but I had used them for my freshwater fish tanks a few years ago. There is about 1"-1.5" of water all around the vivarium. I can't get a good picture of the mold or the water, but I made a big land section in the middle of the vivarium that is connected to the back wall. All around the land section in the middle is water, which soaks up onto the peat on the ground.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Frog vivs are moist, warm, perfect conditions for mold to grow. It may go away eventually on it's own but then it may come back too.
How come people keep their location secret? It makes it hard for a local to chime and say, "hey, I'm near you. I can get you a springtail start!";)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frog vivs are moist, warm, perfect conditions for mold to grow. It may go away eventually on it's own but then it may come back too.
How come people keep their location secret? It makes it hard for a local to chime and say, "hey, I'm near you. I can get you a springtail start!";)
I just ordered a 32oz temperature springtail culture from Josh's Frogs. I just need them to keep the mold down, so will they culture themselves in the viv or do I need to culture them and keep adding? And will they die in lots of moisture?

·
Registered
610 Posts
It's not really soil... just peat moss, and just a layer over the silicone. I suppose I would describe it as that though.
Let me see if I understand. Your substrate consist of a layer of silicone topped by a layer of peat?

And is you scoop at the peat and squeeze it in your hand water will drip out?

Is this tank for darts?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me see if I understand. Your substrate consist of a layer of silicone topped by a layer of peat?

And is you scoop at the peat and squeeze it in your hand water will drip out?

Is this tank for darts?
I can't scoop the peat up because I put it in the silicone. But I don't really have a substrate... I have places dug into the Great Stuff for plants which I put soil in, but the soil is very saturated. The only plants doing well are the moss, the ivy on the background, and the fairy moss (water plant) in the water.

The viv is for Pacific Chorus Frogs, not darts.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't understand you drainage situation...or lack thereof. That sounds like something that needs to be addressed. Silicone and peat is for back walls, not the bottom. The bottom needs to have a false bottom or LECA clay balls for drainage. Not having this will lead to much bigger problems. Stagnant areas, rot, all kinds of nasty molds, and lovely aromas driving you into the next room. That said, springtails love moisture but it sounds like you have other issues.

Reactions: PantMan

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't understand you drainage situation...or lack thereof. That sounds like something that needs to be addressed. Silicone and peat is for back walls, not the bottom. The bottom needs to have a false bottom or LECA clay balls for drainage. Not having this will lead to much bigger problems. Stagnant areas, rot, all kinds of nasty molds, and lovely aromas driving you into the next room. That said, springtails love moisture but it sounds like you have other issues.
Didn't know that... So what if I put the frogs in a container, took everything out, put substrate over the great stuff and put everything back in? :confused:

Would it be easier just to start all over? :(

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Didn't know that... So what if I put the frogs in a container, took everything out, put substrate over the great stuff and put everything back in? :confused:

Would it be easier just to start all over? :(
You may need to start over, I don't know without seeing it. Can you get the great stuff out? I'm just going to post some pics showing one way of making a proper false bottom.
So you attach your PVC "legs" to the white lighting diffuser called "eggcrate". Wrap the whole thing in fiberglass window screen mesh. Picture number 4 shows how my tank is drilled with a pvc drain pipe installed. As an alternative to drilling, you may want to have a PVC tube installed right through the false bottom. It should go from ALMOST the bottom of the viv (you don't want it so tight that you can't get water through), and up through the substrate. Put a cap on that can be pulled off when you need to stick a siphon tube down in. Hide it with a rock, plant, or corkbark.
Now your substrate will be free draining, and won't over-saturate! Siphon when water level rises.
Here is my link on culturing springtails. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/66991-how-culture-isopods-woodlice-springtails.html You should try to establish them both in the viv and in your culture. Keep that culture going and just add more to your viv when necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You may need to start over, I don't know without seeing it. Can you get the great stuff out? I'm just going to post some pics showing one way of making a proper false bottom.
So you attach your PVC "legs" to the white lighting diffuser called "eggcrate". Wrap the whole thing in fiberglass window screen mesh. Picture number 4 shows how my tank is drilled with a pvc drain pipe installed. As an alternative to drilling, you may want to have a PVC tube installed right through the false bottom. It should go from ALMOST the bottom of the viv (you don't want it so tight that you can't get water through), and up through the substrate. Put a cap on that can be pulled off when you need to stick a siphon tube down in. Hide it with a rock, plant, or corkbark.
Now your substrate will be free draining, and won't over-saturate! Siphon when water level rises.
Here is my link on culturing springtails. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/66991-how-culture-isopods-woodlice-springtails.html You should try to establish them both in the viv and in your culture. Keep that culture going and just add more to your viv when necessary.
Thanks for all the info on that. I may just scrape the Great Stuff off the bottom and do that. Can I do something like this where all of the water runs into a puddle in the bottom and I can siphon it out from there?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Thanks for all the info on that. I may just scrape the Great Stuff off the bottom and do that. Can I do something like this where all of the water runs into a puddle in the bottom and I can siphon it out from there?
Yes but take notice how he has a couple inches of gravel below his substrate so his dirt doesn't stay saturated.

·
Registered
596 Posts
percularis, some people take offense at this but I'll suggest it anyway. There is a search function at the top of the web page, and it is a handy tool to find answers to your questions, read old posts, etc.....that way you don't have to wait for people to respond....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts