Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

One of my fly cultures which is about a week old has a small amount of blue mold growing down by the medium. This is the first time in hundreds of cultures I have had this problem. I make my cultures with both vinegar and yeast. Should I consider the culture a lost cause or is it possible that it will recover, are there any tricks to stop the mold in its tracks with a culture that already has flies in it? Should I separate the culture from the rest of my cultures?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
If you have enough cultures to keep you going,I would throw it out.I don't think the mold will stop growing.I use methyl parabin and cinnamon and never ever had any mold.I used to use vinegar,but the wife would complain about the smell even if it was hours before she came home.I of course use a pinch of bakers yeast on top too.I can't imagine the mold will make it smell any better and I wouldn't feed moldy flies to my frogs.Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If the culture hasn't started to boom yet, just set it aside and use it to feed the frogs. Skip using it to start new cultures.

For the record, using vinegar and/or yeast doesn't mean you'll prevent molds. One of the worst molds that infects fly cultures is Aspergillus niger and it prevents competitors from growing by acidifying the media below a pH of 4... So if you add enough vinegar to stop the mold, you'll kill your cultures.

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will separate it and keep it out of the pool of potential culture starters. Hopefully the culture will still boom.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I will separate it and keep it out of the pool of potential culture starters. Hopefully the culture will still boom.
It should still boom. Also the mold may disappear once the culture gets going if it is a small contamination.

Some comments

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts