Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my Aurora darts tank i have this weird bacteria growth thats taking over. Theres two darts, all live plants and Live
mosses, about 4-5 different species of isopods in one huge colony, and a abundant amount of springtails. EVERYONE is thriving in this tank. Frogs, bugs, plants. And now this weird mold is thriving too. How do i get rid of it without hurting the ecosystem? i hope to pass this set up down to my daughter in 10+ years.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
More info would help a lot. Pics of whole viv, info on misting, ventilation, substrate, age of viv, etc, etc.

Is this the viv in this thread?

·
Registered
305 Posts
It looks like something orchid growers call "snow mold", that can happen in decaying potting media with very wet conditions. How old is your soil? If it's more than a year or two old, might be time to replace as much of the soil/media as you can. Your conditions in that pic also look quite wet, but I agree that a pic of the whole viv would help.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
How old is your soil? If it's more than a year or two old, might be time to replace as much of the soil/media as you can.
I can't quite tell what the substrate is from the pic, but ABG lasts quite a bit longer than a year or two. Mold outbreaks aren't terribly rare in dart vivs, but replacing substrate is pretty drastic.

Reactions: Harpspiel

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can't quite tell what the substrate is from the pic, but ABG lasts quite a bit longer than a year or two. Mold outbreaks aren't terribly rare in dart vivs, but replacing substrate is pretty drastic.
Perhaps I should say "if it has completely decomposed", but for general orchid growing (my background) it is recommended to replace potting material every couple years, and a standard orchid potting mix is very similar to ABG. I guess plants that are terrestrial don't mind the mix breaking down, whereas epiphytic orchids do, but if it's been kept very wet it will probably degrade faster, and snow mold can suffocate plant roots. If there isn't a decline in the plants, though, probably no need to do anything drastic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd add a fan, springs (make sure to get the jumpers because there are two types) and some other isopods maybe, also you can introduce bacteria that will go after the fungi. I added some special bacteria from HoustonFrogs or BioDude carries a similar Bioshot. Paired with two types of springs and isopods (pretty much a shotgun approach) all of my mold/fungi has almost completely recessed. You can also add a fan such as the one from FrogCube or reduce misting if you see that, that may help.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
A relevant recent thread:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts