Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just finished my second clay background two days ago. I used a mix of dr. elseys and peat and when I finished I put some soaked bark pieces into the clay similar to what you would do with a GS background. There are also two pieces of mopani wood and a piece of cork bark in there. Today I noticed some mold on the edge of the clay around on piece of wood. At first I thought it was just dried clay because there is only a small amount of clay there. I have the top covered and it has been on its side for two days. Should I be concerned? I am wondering if I add the substrate and plants with light it will just go away. Please tell me I dont have to break this whole thing down and sanitize everything again.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's completely normal. The tank will cycle through and soon it will go away. It varies in time from 1-3 weeks. If you have springtails they will definitely help keeping the mold away

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
^I agree. Most fungi are perfectly safe in the viv and are an essential part of a healthy substrate for anyone who wants to have springtails, isopods and other small critters to provide an ongoing food source, especially for obligate egg feeder vivs (pumilio, histos, grannies, etc.). After a few months you will likely see small mushrooms popping up periodically, which is also fine and kinda cool. I believe there is a thread with photos of different fungi growing in vivs.

I found the thread - http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/45537-share-your-fungi-21.html#post606805

1 - 4 of 4 Posts