Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this?! How do I stop it? It seems like it'ss causing leaves "rot" and fall off my favorite Philodendron :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is acrylic vivarium has a full screen top as well as ventilation on each side. It's 8" x 16" x 8" with a 60w "daylight spectrum" CF.
I don't think either of those are an issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most molds can be killed by peroxide (changes the PH and kills off almost any mold) Interesting fact is that peroxide will kill mold and not fungus! (there is a big difference but most likely you have mold) You can make a mix of 1part peroxide to 10parts of clean water and spray it hopefully avoiding areas that your frogs may come in contact with. Or use a dropper and just drop a couple drops of peroxide on it. If that doesn't take care of it, its likely it could be a fungus.

I've read that peroxide in small amounts can be used to treat frog wounds so perhaps a little spray wont hurt them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. Thank you, will try. If necessary, I'll remove the plant to treat it. It's also creeping up on Peperomia, but it doesn't seem to have taken leaves yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No pics as I spot cleaned it as soon as I noticed it. In the event that it sprouts its ugly head again, I'll be sure to share.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
How long has the tank been set up and did you seed it with springtails?

You can spray that mold down with water, just be sure to let the plants dry off before turning off the lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's been set up for just over 40 days now. I added some ABG mix to this vivarium from a different tank that I seeded with springtails, so there are some springtails. Do you thinking adding more or a second species would help?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It's been set up for just over 40 days now. I added some ABG mix to this vivarium from a different tank that I seeded with springtails, so there are some springtails. Do you thinking adding more or a second species would help?
The tank is still young, as time goes by this will happen less and less. The spring population will eventually rise up to a point where it can keep the mold in check. Adding more springs may help, but as long as there is air movement and water isnt just sitting on the plants, this will pass.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Kind of looks like spider mite webs or small spiders. Check the "mold" at night and see if you see anything in it. It's not going to hurt the plants to let it be for a night or two.
Ether way springs will eat the mold. And frogs will eat the mites... It's the natural cycle of the vivariums.
dom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's kind of hard to tell from my crappy photos, but it's definitely not spider mite or spider webbing. It's frosty-looking stuff that "spikes" out of the plant leaves. The leaves of the philodendron melt pretty quickly when it gets a breakout but other plants seem a little more resilient towards it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts