Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some problems with a white mold taking over the right side of my tank and killing all my moss. I have tried removing the parts most heavily infested with it but it keeps getting worse. This tank is over 10 months old so it isn't the new tank bloom. Any ideas on how to stop its progress.

http://i.imgur.com/gQBRO5a.jpg

·
Registered
732 Posts
I don't know if there is much you can do other than let it run it's course. I used to spray water on these areas when this happened in my tank to knock it down some.

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
I agree there is not much you can do but let it run it's self down.Do you have springs and isos in the viv?If so maybe ad some more. They won't wipe it out but will help to control it.I had it in my retic tank and like Tdk said,I knock it down with water a little,and ad extra springs which don't go to waist with the retics anyway.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank has springs but I will try to add some more. I was knocking it down with water everyday but recently I have been trying to leave that area of the tank drier to see if that helps but it hasn't.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Ive had that happen as well. Totally lame, but hey, nature. What can we do? Theres lots of mold in a rainforest. Looks like you're well on your way to replicating a slice :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Make a decoction on ground cinnamon that you pour boiling water on to. Let the water cool and let the cinnamon stay in the water for a couple of days. Filter away the cinnamon powder and use the cinnamon water to spray over infested areas each day for 3-5 days.
That would stop the mold/fungus from spreading.

Take 3-4 tablespoons of cinnamon for each liter of water.

This method have helped me numerous times and is safe for the frogs and plants.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What is a decoction? I have this same problem right now on my Java moss (which is all over my entire tank) The fuxxy white mold/fungus is starting to spread all over it and kill it off.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow this worked amazingly. Sprayed the fungus yesterday with the cinnamon water and it is almost entirely gone today. Only a few spots left where it wa the thickest! I'm gunna give it a few days and try again! Amazing!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow this worked amazingly. Sprayed the fungus yesterday with the cinnamon water and it is almost entirely gone today. Only a few spots left where it wa the thickest! I'm gunna give it a few days and try again! Amazing!!
So glad to hear this. I have my cinnamon water soaking now and will be straining it in a few days. Glad to know there is a safe solution to keeping mold in check.

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
Make a decoction on ground cinnamon that you pour boiling water on to. Let the water cool and let the cinnamon stay in the water for a couple of days. Filter away the cinnamon powder and use the cinnamon water to spray over infested areas each day for 3-5 days.
That would stop the mold/fungus from spreading.

Take 3-4 tablespoons of cinnamon for each liter of water.

This method have helped me numerous times and is safe for the frogs and plants.
Sorry for resurrecting this thread again, but I want to give my feedback on this idea.

I tried boiling ground cinnamon (2 tablespoons) in 500ml of water, which is half the recipe above. I let it be for 2 days, then tried filtering the decoction using a coffee filter. Unfortunately it became gooey and it did not go through the filter.

I thought maybe leaving it for 2 days was the reason why it congealed, so I repeated the recipe and tried filtering right away with the same results (failure).

Next time, I will try 1 tablespoon of cinnamon to 500ml of water to see if it filters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts