Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I set up a 18x18x24 vivarium 2 years ago. All was going well until about 6 months ago when the tank began growing mold (white and whispy). I let the tank cycle for a while (a few months) thinking it would resolve on its own and it did not. I added more springtails and isopods, then I ventilated the tank by removing a portion of the plexiglass cover and slightly lowered the humidity. None of this helped at all, the mold killed all the moss I had growing on the background of my tank and took out some vines as well. The smell overwhelmed the room anytime the mister came on or when I open the front of the tank. So, I completely dismantled most of the tank, took out the substrate and all plants. I let the entire background dry out completely and cut out portions of the background (great stuff covered with silicone and coco fiber) where the mold was the worst. Then I re-siliconed the background and added some hygrolon. I was thinking this would do it UNFORTUNATELY, I misted down the background to test the newly added hygrolon and was again hit in the face with the intense mold smell, so bad that it makes me cough. I could not see any signs of mold after my "remediation", is this tank background ruined am I destined to have to start over from scratch ??? Is there anything I can do? Where did I go wrong? Please help. . .

·
Registered
217 Posts
If after you redo the decor, with new substrate and the smell comes back again, it must have something to do with the back wall. Or the water in the drainage is too high so that the substrate will rot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was using egg crate. I took all of the substrate out and the background still smells, although only when it gets wet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you post an image? Seems weird.
I took everything out of the tank. Cut out some of the great stuff foam/silicone/coco fiber background where the mold was growing, then I re-siliconed it and attached the hygrolon. Now when I spray it with water I am still getting an intense mold smell. I am not sure where I went wrong, or what the smell is coming from. I am hoping I don't have to redo the background, as it was not easy to make.
unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
Is this type of wood suitable for a viv? Is that where the smell comes from?
I agree. Do you know what wood it is?
Maybe it’s prone to rot and mold.

EDIT: There’s some blue on the bottom piece of wood. Is that maybe where it’s coming from?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Great stuff wouldn't cause mold, nor would hygrolon or silicone/cocofibre on its own. My vote is the wood...seems like the missing equation here.

I would start again...probably not the suggestion you were hoping for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hadnt
Great stuff wouldn't cause mold, nor would hygrolon or silicone/cocofibre on its own. My vote is the wood...seems like the missing equation here.

I would start again...probably not the suggestion you were hoping for.
For some reason, I didn't even think of the wood as a factor 😬 not sure why I didn't even think about it. I did get it at an aquarium store but that was many years ago and I am not sure what kind of wood it is. I am going to do a complete rehaul since I've already gutted anyway. I appreciate all the feeback!

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
I hadnt

For some reason, I didn't even think of the wood as a factor 😬 not sure why I didn't even think about it. I did get it at an aquarium store but that was many years ago and I am not sure what kind of wood it is. I am going to do a complete rehaul since I've already gutted anyway. I appreciate all the feeback!
You are most definitely welcome!

·
Registered
734 Posts
When you take it apart, keep the wood and put it in a bucket or something to keep it damp. See if you can positively identify that as the source.

If you did great stuff on the background, all is not lost. Cut out the wood, foam in the holes. Add some new wood if you want...mopani/manzanita/ghostwood, something verified ok for the dampness and humidity of a vivarium.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts