Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few areas in my 80gal that have wet areas mostly from the condensation running off the glass saturating the soil. There is ample ventilation, but could be more I feel.
One idea I had is placing vented PVC into the soil to allow airflow circulation with the help of the two fans I've had in there for a year.
It would be far too much and not feasible to teardown.
There are many dry structures and leaf litter to keep the frogs from having wet feet. (The pictures attached show them on stay areas). I have not misted in a while and only spot watered a select few plants and humidity has dropped about10% to 84% and the temp is 68°
Is there another alternative to quickly remedy this?
Fire salamander Salamandra Reptile Organism Terrestrial plant

Marine invertebrates Organism Plant Marine biology Terrestrial plant

Plant Organism Frog Vegetation Terrestrial plant

Fire salamander Plant Salamandra Botany Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe some pictures capturing the entire enclosure could help others better assess your situation?
Thanks, you're right. I'll get those posted in the A.M...
Seems I have plenty of time since I have COVID.

Weee! Super fun!

The good thing is, I think I'm on the downside.

I think I have been off work for almost a month including Christmas and New Year holidays.

Gary

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope these pics can help; First pic is the substrate in the middle section and the next is the right-side fan.
The next are pics of the front left-side and left fan.
Next are pictures of one of the planned ventilation tubes (possibly 4 near the front).
The last 2 are proposed plans to allow air to circulate into the soil. The final is a plant moisture meter reading.

Thanks in advance for you advice, ideas, and suggestions. As always I greatly appreciate each of you.

Plant community Plant Natural environment Pet supply Organism

Plant Botany Natural environment Terrestrial plant Grass

Plant Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Aquatic plant Ingredient

Plant Grass Mesh Automotive tire Terrestrial plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Underwater Grass

Rectangle Wood Font Gas Tints and shades

Wood Font Rectangle Plastic Electric blue

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Grille Automotive tail & brake light
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gauge Measuring instrument Gadget

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,432 Posts
It is a generously-sized vivarium that has a range of substrate and surface moisture levels for the frogs to choose from, and presumably for you to choose from in placing moisture-tolerant plants. Is there really a problem to be remedied?

And if so, is local remediation the best plan, or would simply increasing the overall ventilation (installing slightly higher CFM fans, or cleaning the blades on the ones you have if they're dusty) do the trick while maintaining the beneficial spectrum of moisture levels?

I wonder if the soil moisture meter is giving relevant data. Houseplants in soil are typically grown in a 'pretty damp <---> very slightly damp, pushing dry' range; ABG drains well and has mucho airspace but doesn't dry out in dart vivs since we're adding water at least daily (and we keep a layer of evaporation preventing leaf litter on it).

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks that makes me feel better.👍
As far as the moisture meter; it's just a simple one from Lowe's and was used initially for carnivorous plants.
I guess if I place some plants that enjoy moist feet I could do that and/or slightly stir up the substrate to allow some flow.
I also ensure there are plenty of "janitors" in there too. Even a few millipedes which one of the 3 had a few babies. I've noticed them in and out of the soil.

I'm pretty diligent in siphoning the false bottom. I usually pull out close to 4 gals of water it's a fairly tall false bottom 3.5" to 4".

I agree about moving the fans to be more beneficial and cleaning them up.

Thanks again for the input and valuable information. It is very appreciated.

·
Registered
19,339 Posts
84% is actually a good humidity goal as >90% puts the cage and animals at risk of temperatures over 80F causing heat stress/death. Condensation is more of a function of the difference in temperature between the interior and exterior of the enclosure than the humidity itself (think dew points). The simplest thing to fix the problem is to reduce the difference in temperature between the room and the cage.

Some comments
Ed

·
Administrator
5,432 Posts
90% puts the cage and animals at risk of temperatures over 80F causing heat stress/death
Could you say more, either anecdotal or research based, about these specific numbers? There's some discussion about what the worrisome high temp is, and having some more or less solid data to back up claims would be helpful. If you know of any reason to think these numbers might be species-relevant, that would be valuable information as well. TIA. :)

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I live in Houston where it is humid most year-round 😅.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts