Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my main display tank lacks any form of air movement and I had this blower fan laying around and though I would make a removable air circulation unit. Just something different from the standard CPU fans. :]

I started with this

I then dremeled off all the tabs and cut the unit down to bare minimum. I then cut another hole on the side of the blower to become another outlet. I screened off all exposed and accessible holes and modded the outlets so I had three in total. I didn't care too much for the looks, its going to be covered and and disguised.

Here you can see the outlets in the boxed green part. I tested the unit and it blows very well.

Next on the to-do list is to greatstuff the thing and attach some suction cups. I'm going to run it on a timer for minute duration throughout the day.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Do you remember where you got the fan? I was looking for something similiar.
You can get it at any computer store. This one is specifically from the ZooMed aquarium cooler. I had the unit and no use for it so I took it apart.

Here are some pictures of the unit sprayed with greatstuff.

The green arrows show the flow spread on the blower.

A shot of the intake and output.

Next is to silicone and coco fiber it!

Good luck with your fan unit too, suztor. Feel free to post up your results and pictures!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great idea on using the great stuff. I've been using a computer slot fan that I got from Amazon for $8 with good results. I'll definitely try camoflaging it with this technique.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

Here's the finished product. I wish it wasn't so rounded but oh well!

The suction cup is to attach it to the top glass lid. I was going to add another one on the side for versatility but I realized I can always add it later if need be.

I silicone part of the leader so it won't detach or tangle in the future. I could have done the entire thing but I decided to keep the low profile wires bare.

This thing blows pretty well. Now to set it up and see what kind of changes it does to http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/76146-my-first-tank-125-gallon.html

·
Registered
583 Posts
Very cool. I read your link ".125 gallon" and thought "man that's small for such a tiny tank!" then I clicked on the link and realized you probably didn't mean to have the dot in there!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I like the camo job on it but the suction cup mount scares me. I have suctions cups release even on little film canisters now and then. Consider attaching your wires so that if the suction cup releases, it cannot fall against the side glass or to the bottom, crushing a frog.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know, I wish I could edit that title.... :/

Thanks for the concerns, Pumilo. The suction cup is actually quite a beast at... suctioning. The unit is going into a discrete corner and the wires will be running out the tank. The worst thing that could happen if the suction cup does release is swing and bounce off the walls. I'm also considering magnets but that might be a tweak later on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
might be able to use velcro- the type that comes with adhesive on it. would be fairly easy to remove/reposition, and should be fairly secure. not sure if velcro has ben used in other vivs, or if there are any safety concerns with the adhesive.

but, yeah, I don't really trust suction cups either...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And here is the unit installed!

Petco uses velcro attachment methods for the herp hydro and thermometers and they actually fall off pretty often. I have also had to remove a baby corn snake that had gotten stuck to the adhesive. The little guys belly was stuck very well.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll keep you guys posted on how well it sticks! Its been 2 days so far. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts