Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you are against this, but what species are possible to maintain with azureus. I've heard vents and terribilis are okay. I'm not sure I have the space for the terribilis though without fighting. What about pumilios?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
There are at least two reasons people are against mixing. One is the risk of hybridizing. The frogs you mentioned are fine on that count. The other reason is it brings in the possibility for competition and stress. For this reason many of us recommend that you don't mix any species until you have successfully maintained and bred each of the species alone first. This makes sure the keeper has learned the "normal" behavior of the frog species alone so they can more easily recognize when frogs might be reacting badly to the mixing.

Unless your tank is huge, I think you are right about the terribilis. Pumilio are notoriously aggressive and will attack larger frogs. Also, I think this is also a waste of pumilio which are hardly well established in the hobby at this point. Until we are supplying all of the pumilio the hobby wants from captive bred stock, I don't think we should be putting animals in a setup where they have little to know chance of reproducing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 20 gallon is what i consider minimum tank siz for a pair of azureus alone.
It is definately not big enough to mix species in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Why do you want to mix everything??? Is a mix of your tarantulas and your frogs next?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to me, a mixed tank is something that I would only attempt after a few years of success in keeping whatever species will be kept. Plus, it would be in a very large, well planted display tank. I also would not be expecting very successful breedings to occur, and have extra tanks set up in the off chance that a frog becomes stressed by the other cagemates.

if you want more than one species of frog, just buy another tank. a mixed tank shouldn't be attempted due to monetary or space factors.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mixing isnt bad

i think that putting diffrent frogs together or a geko with a frog is fine because thats how they are in the wild. and if they do hybridize just keep the offspring for yourself if you dont want to destry them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what kind of gecko? I've heard about people housing day geckos and darts together, but the difference in temperature requirement alone made me hesitant to ever try it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Re: mixing isnt bad

xAuratusxPunkx said:
i think that putting diffrent frogs together or a geko with a frog is fine because thats how they are in the wild.
Even so, but this is in a much, much bigger area than a vivarium can ever create

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
think that putting diffrent frogs together or a geko with a frog is fine because thats how they are in the wild. and if they do hybridize just keep the offspring for yourself if you dont want to destry them.
No. im sorry thats not how it is in the wild, the frogs are geographically seperated from each other and Phelsuma,(which i assume you are talking about) are from Madagascar.

And you shouldnt keep the offspring, what if they were to get into the hobby? Like if you had to get rid of all of your frogs real fast, you cant honestly tell me you would kill it if you didnt destroy the eggs in the first place. Its people like you who are going to be the downfall of this hobby. :evil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts