Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen a few times that you should offer different supplements, but to rotate them, not to mix them. What would the reason be for not mixing them?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I still think this is a good question.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I know I've seen a few times that you should offer different supplements, but to rotate them, not to mix them. What would the reason be for not mixing them?
1) oversight on the manufacturing process can result in wide variations between batches of the same supplement as well as between brands of the same supplement.. the one study that analyzed a wide variety of the supplements documented that some levels could be as low as 0% of what was reported on the label to several hundred times what was reported on the lable. Mixing them together increases the chance of over and under supplementation due to the above errors.

2) different manufacture processes utilize different particle sizes of materials as well as different stabilizers. Mixing them can cause damage to the stabilization process reducing the stability of the mix as well as changing uptake rates (this can even be seen within a brand for example the instructions on Rep-cal and Herptivite). With widely varying particle size, small particulates can saturate the feeder insect preventing larger particles from adhering.

3) As noted above, changes in competition uptake.. (for example A competes with D3 and E, D3 competes with A and E....).

Ed

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was about to post a thread about this until i saw this one. Thanks guys! Ive been mixing the herptivite and calcium with vit. D3. Should i just alternate between feedings or is there a better way to rotate them?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Alternating is the best practice. I think you would be safest to keep the rotation. I would recommend that you use the Repashy Vit A once a week or so since you are using Herptivite. The Vitamin A in Herptivite is not processed by the frog. However, the Repashy product uses a different type of Vit A that is absorbed by the frog. Again, don't mix it with the vitamin. Just rotate it once a week or every other week.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Cool thanks! The repashy will have to wait until payday but i will start alternating what i have. Just out of curiosity what problems could come from mixing the supplements? Would it cause a major deficiency?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Cool thanks! The repashy will have to wait until payday but i will start alternating what i have. Just out of curiosity what problems could come from mixing the supplements? Would it cause a major deficiency?
Go back to post number 4 above...

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.