Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its probably been asked a million times but i couldnt find it on the search tab... what do u guys think of adding a single azureus to a trio of well established but not breeding leucs in a 20L? my girlfriend wants to get me one for v day and its hard to say no.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The leucs and azureus could interbreed, so it would not be such a good idea.

Luke

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Well, first off three frogs in a 20L is already pushing the limits of crowding.
Why not just get another ten gallon (you can find them under 10 bucks if you look hard enough) and use that for you're new frog?

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are a number of documented cases between those two frogs, I am not sure if anyone here has any pictures, but it is easy to find pictures of other leuc crosses. Tracy had pictures of many different crosses, if you are interested in seeing what the frog looks like he may be a good person to talk to.

Alexander

·
Registered
213 Posts
I believe that there is a picture of one in Bill Samples/ Jack Wattley's Poison Dart Frog Book.

Also, this seems like a beginner question, no? I for one am growing tired of seeing newbie type questions on an advanced discussion board. It seems to be getting worse lately.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree with Alexander. Tracy has great pictures of hybrids.

Any frogs in the 'tinct' group will easily interbreed. Why not move the 3 leucs to a 20 H and put a pair of azureus in that 20L? :wink:

-Richard

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
rompida said:
Also, this seems like a beginner question, no? I for one am growing tired of seeing newbie type questions on an advanced discussion board. It seems to be getting worse lately.
I've said before that I think it's a mistake to separate beginner and advanced discussions. It's not good for the beginners if they end up just talking to each other because everybody else is tired of a subject.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
To get mad about someone posting a beginner question in the advanced question is slightly immature. This is a message board for people seeking help. If you don't want to respond a beginner question in the advanced section, don't respond to it then. Someone is looking for help, if you can, and are willing to help that person, please do so. What qualifies as a beginner topic and as an advanced topic anyway?

·
Registered
313 Posts
as said before the major issue here is space, 4 frogs in a 20 gallon would be cramped and then you would multiply any risk of stress related problems from having a mixed tank... also having seperate beginner and advanced sections can be problematic, i never look in the beginer section... if you don't want to answer the question, don't click on the thread...

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
snip "as said before the major issue here is space, 4 frogs in a 20 gallon would be cramped and then you would multiply any risk of stress related problems from having a mixed tank"

While this is conventional dogma, this is not an absolute rule, its a rule of thumb.

See some of the discussion in http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4532

Ed

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
It is definately a common question. How would a beginner know not to mix certain species? They wouldn't, usually. That is why they need to be helped. When someone steps into this hobby, they see so many awesome looking frogs that it may be hard to choose just one. This brings about the question that "maybe I don't need to choose just one." These, I would believe is a common thought that many people have. If you look at different breeder sites it is oftern addressed in a care guide. The reason is because so many people venturing into this hobby have this question, so it is smart to post it on the breeders website, not only to help the newcomer, but to possibly answer any questions without having to directly speak to them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It is a common question, and I feel, a beginner question as well. Every beginner asks it. In fact, I think it would be a good question to post on a FAQ for beginning frog keeping. I'm not trying to bash newcomers, but as someone that has been in the hobby for many years, I like being able to see some advanced discussion posts without sifting through these type posts, or posts like, " my (insert frog name) has laid eggs, now what do I do?" Those should definitely be in the beginner section. Maybe a Dendroboard FAQ would be a good project for the future.

Brent, I respectfully have to disagree. You know we lost alot of members from a certain other discussion board/forum because of aggravation with this issue. The fact that dendroboard seperates (or attempts to) these discussions is what attracted me to it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
rompida said:
Brent, I respectfully have to disagree. You know we lost alot of members from a certain other discussion board/forum because of aggravation with this issue. The fact that dendroboard seperates (or attempts to) these discussions is what attracted me to it.
I know. And I also know that I was a large part of the problem. But if the experienced people only look in the advanced sections, what kind of advice are the beginners going to get? And what will happen to their frogs? I do agree that something like how to care for eggs is a beginner question but mixing species is a common question that has a very complex answer behind it as you know. Just look at the very advanced threads that have transpired on this very topic. Interestingly, the one that Ed started got criticized for being in the Beginner section when some of the participants felt the topic was too advanced. I understand the desire to restrict participation to advanced topics but I'm just not sure how practical it is other than just quickly skimming threads and ignoring the ones you don't like.

The other thing I don't like about a beginner section is that I worry that it makes people feel inadequate or stupid if they post there. FAQs are certainly a great idea and that "other forum" has a pretty good one.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
John,

Putting aside the question of interbreeding between species for the moment, you always need to be attentive to aggression between species or even within a species for that matter and crowding as factors leading to problems. In particular, introducing a new animal into an already populated setup, even if one is dealing with the same species, needs to be carefully monitored. There are exceptions to this rule of thumb but I err on the side of segregation and maximizing the space provided for each animal.

Elmo

1 - 20 of 29 Posts