Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had mites for a little while, but they are getting really bad now.. Does anyone have any extra cultes and extra cups and lids? Also what do you guys find the best way to clean the containers to re-use them? Thanks if you can help!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have had mites for a little while, but they are getting really bad now.. Does anyone have any extra cultes and extra cups and lids? Also what do you guys find the best way to clean the containers to re-use them? Thanks if you can help!!
Well i just freeze my old cultures for 2-3 days:p killing everything. After, i take them out ,run hot water on the bottom of the container. The media will come off and just open the lid and everything will fall out. Except the Ff sacs that remain inside the container. I run HOT water inside and just scrub.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I can find enough room in my freezer for all the old cultures... Lol.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If you are seeing increased levels then you may have a source that is optimal for the mites allowing them to travel and increase populations in the cultures.

As an alternative to freezing you can also nuke the older cultures until hot to kill off the mites (and flies) and then do whatever to it.

When was the last time you changed the mite paper?

Have you tried dusting the flies before adding them to the cultures?

Ed

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly, I do not have any mite paper... I just bought some, and p I am sure it will definitely help control the mites. I have not tried dusting my flies before adding them to a new culture either, with my calcium supplements and stuff?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Sadly, I do not have any mite paper... I just bought some, and p I am sure it will definitely help control the mites. I have not tried dusting my flies before adding them to a new culture either, with my calcium supplements and stuff?
Yes if you dust them with a superfine supplement the idea is this will help push the mites off of the flies and once loose (or if loose already) down in the wriggling mass if flies and if you use only the flies on the top, it lowers the number of mites in the new culture giving the flies the chance to do well. If the mites can migrate to the newer cultures from the older cultures you lose the advantage of cycling the older cultures out as mites that are sexually mature or close to it can start breeding in larger numbers sooner which results in a larger number of mites and usually reduced production. At the moment, if you set the new cultures for 7-10 days in a seperate room, it will help alot until you get the mite paper down.

Ed

·
Registered
67 Posts
To follow on Ed's suggestion, when mites get really bad, I dust 2 times before putting them in the new culture. Here is how I do it. I put Herptivite in a 32 oz container and add flies. I take the top ones and shake them into a film can. Try not to get any powder as this is where the mites are if they are not on the flies. I put the film can into a clean 32 oz container and let the flies climb out and pull the film can once enough flies have escaped the can. Then I dust the ones in the 32 oz container and add only the top ones to the culture. This may be over kill and the first dusting might be enough by itself. But the extra 5 minitues it takes are worth it for me as it seems to me that my cultures that I have done this to will last 45 days before I see any real level of mites in them. Whereas with a single dusting, I see them after 30 days.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My giant orange isos have mites in their tub as well. Should I do the same idea Ed gave and dust them in calcium before putting them into a new tub?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I think your isopods won't appreciate it... Isopods have modified gills (can be seen when looking at the back end of the isopod) and I think the dust may clog and/or abrade this possibly killing the isopods.

Are you feeding the isopods food derived from grains?

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts