Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
probably mites. are you using mite paper/spray, tossing your cultures at 4 weeks (approx) etc?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been following everything to a T but my oldest cultures shouldve been scrapped already. Work has been crazy and i slipped up. Ugh. guess i pay the price for that one!!

Going to let the frogs do some spring cleaning on the mites in the cultures and then im tossing and sterilizing everything to start over. What a drag. At least it's taken this long for me to get them...

Did my due diligence and read everything single mite-related post on here. Might switch to spray instead of paper.

·
Registered
205 Posts
its amazing that they creep in when you wait too long to toss them. i think the spray may work better also as some of the paper can be old when you get it. sorry.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I'm not sure you have to toss your newer cultures unless you are seeing a lot of mites in them as well. Prepare your new cultures on a clean surface and then collect the flies into a container with a fine calcium dust. This supposedly interefers with the mites clinging to the flies and traps them down into the bottomn of the container. Use these flies to start new cultures and place them in a different room from your old cultures (as the mites are walking around looking for food).

After that you should be able to go back to managing the cultures. The mite paper has to be changed about every 30 days as well so it prevents mites from traveling between cultures when you have a population boom in them (the worst I've seen so far is so many mites they looked like brown froth coming out of a culture).

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.