Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the mites that infect ff cultures live on dry excelsior? I am working on mite problem and question if its necessary to disinfect the dry excelsior in some way like microwaving for one minute (tried and didn't catch on fire yet) or in oven which I think is an even worse idea?
thanks

·
Registered
701 Posts
Do the mites that infect ff cultures live on dry excelsior? I am working on mite problem and question if its necessary to disinfect the dry excelsior in some way like microwaving for one minute (tried and didn't catch on fire yet) or in oven which I think is an even worse idea?
thanks
They live everywhere in it but mainly on the media or near the moist areas. Usually I microwave the entire culture for 2-3 minutes a day before adding flies to help kill anything already present.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
They live everywhere in it but mainly on the media or near the moist areas. Usually I microwave the entire culture for 2-3 minutes a day before adding flies to help kill anything already present.
It depends on the mite. If you are referring to the white grain mites, then no.. they don't live on dry excelsior... and unless there is something there to feed them, the predatory mites don't live on it either....

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
thanks
Unlikely unless you store the dry excelsior near the active cultures. In that case, they aren't so much living in/on it as transversing it looking for a new food source.
Storing near any grain based food can result in the same contamination.

If you are having issues with mites, the first place to start is with the cultures used to set up the new ones. You can try dusting the flies to reduce the levels of mites that you are introducing to the new cultures (don't use the the dust/flies at the bottom of the collection container to start the new cultures, feed them out). Keep the cultures on mite paper or better yet until you get it under control, keep the newer cultures on mite paper away from the older cultures. This helps prevent mites from migrating to the new cultures until you get it under control. Do not house the cultures near crickets, mealworms, flour beetles, roaches or other inverts that get fed grain based foods.

The other main thing is do not keep the cultures longer than 30 days (or if you do house them far from the newer cultures).

Ed

Reactions: vjf000

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep it in sterilite containers now and that last answer from Ed helped me with further details, thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts