Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a small amount of flies in my older cultures and would like to set up some new ones. I'm using the Carolina mix and had read that some people use vinegar to keep mites out of the cultures (as well as mold but have no problem with mold). Just curious if anybody adds vinegar to their medium for mites and if it could be put in the Carolina Bio. mix. Shouldn't hurt the frogs?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe the vinegar is to prevent mold, and imagine it does little to repel mites. Mites are fairly hardy and determined creatures. Unless you have cultures infested with mites, they should be able to over come the effects of mite predation. Ideally you should start new cultures with the first batch of flies that emerge, as these will be female rich (females generally emerge first).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I use a vinegar/water mix to make my ff cultures, but to inhibit mold. You should start new cultures from "fresh" ones... but you can start from older ones. The risk of molds and ect from the older culture is the only real worry, but I have done it myself with good results (when I was lazy and didn't start the cultures right away :D ).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts