Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have been looking for my answer so please don't flame me for another thread about Mites.

I couldn't find the answer to my question. Although I am not a beginner this is something I have never had experience with and I felt could be good info for beginners

I have successfully been raising ff cultures for a couple years but here lately it seems im having more problems with mites.

I actually found some natural chemistry de flea Reptile Relief I am going to start using.

I was just curious because since my cultures already have mites. If I start new cultures with the flys from the old cultures will I get mites even if I use the spray. I know this stuff isn't as good as the mite paper but I got it so i might as well use it.

Honestly something this minute wouldnt bother me if they were not slowing down my cultures but last week they were booming and now I don't have hardly any left.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It's the weekend.... I find that most experienced froggers prefer to answer threads while they're at work, not on the two days they have to take a break from everything....

I for one have never had a mite issue, so I don't know what to tell you....

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Really ... No one
This method of bumping it up on the same day with something that wasn't an emergency makes me not want to answer it since it has been discussed repeatedly on this forum....

Here is a hint... a wise man (not myself) once said, if you think your fly culture doesn't have mites, then you haven't looked hard enough.

Ed

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well then don't reply ed. If it bothers you it was not the same day it was last night when I posted it. I did not check it until this evening and I was surprised no one had replied to it. No need for the attitude.

I did a couple searches found about 10 threads about mites some were 5 page long theads that i read to there entirety and the question was not discussed in any of them.

Considering the fact that it had killed off my cultures that are only 2 weeks old it may have not been an emergency but very important for me to know.

Guys do me a favor please I just like others are hear to enjoy and learn about this hobby by either reading old post or creating new ones. If your here just to get snippy then please just ignore my post all toghether thank u

·
Registered
222 Posts
Although I haven't had any trouble with mites (knock on wood) I've read in other posts (on this website) that...
- the spray does not work well
- you can dust your flies super good to try to get rid of some/most of the mites before starting new cultures with 'infected' flies
- mite paper is the best
- if it gets too bad you need to buy brand new cultures and start over... with mite paper because the mites will spread from your old cultures

ps - please don't piss off Ed... he's the man and we love him and don't want anyone scaring him off because he is HUGE help to everyone

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/66519-fly-culture-mites.html#post581560

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/64281-another-mite-question.html#post560748

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/74334-continuous-mites-ff-culture.html#post655945

And those are only a small sampling of the threads discussing the presence of mites in a culture from this year....
Your cultures have mites.. They will always have some level of mites unless you start the cultures with eggs and larva that have had the mites and/or thier eggs removed from them individually and then placed in sterile set-up managed to prevent mites from migrating to the cultures. And that will only last until a mistake is made allowing contamination. The entire goal is to mange the mites so you can avoid a mite bomb going off....

Ed

Reactions: R1ch13

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Well then don't reply ed. If it bothers you it was not the same day it was last night when I posted it. I did not check it until this evening and I was surprised no one had replied to it. No need for the attitude.

I did a couple searches found about 10 threads about mites some were 5 page long theads that i read to there entirety and the question was not discussed in any of them.

Considering the fact that it had killed off my cultures that are only 2 weeks old it may have not been an emergency but very important for me to know.

Guys do me a favor please I just like others are hear to enjoy and learn about this hobby by either reading old post or creating new ones. If your here just to get snippy then please just ignore my post all toghether thank u
Uhh... tone it down a bit.... "snippy" begats "snippy." Your second post was just that. Things to remember:

- If you want _good_ advice from someone who _knows_ what they're talking about (instead of the ramblings of n00bs who are out to make a name for themselves), wait your turn (there's a limited number of people on here who know what they're talking about and still post because of the younger generation's obstinance and disrespect. With hundreds of posts coming in every day it's hardly reasonable to expect to get an intelligent response all that quickly).
- People create new posts about topics discussed here all the time, usually that's fine, but when when you say "I already looked," someone's going to correct you.
- If you want an intelligent answer, write intelligently. Perfection is not expected, but grammar, punctuation, and spelling are valued here (unlike other forums I've lurked on).
- Finally, don't burn bridges with smart people if you don't have to. You never know when an emergency will arise. If you actually need help and the only person who can offer you instant advice is that one person that you pissed off (my go-to guy is Ed, and for good reason), well....

Just some friendly advice to help make this forum a better experience for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts